how do i get the 3 yr old off the nighttime bottle

i know i am doing things wrong she still sleeps with me and takes a 8 oz bottle at night, i want to start potty training her. its going to be hard at night with a bottle. how do i stop the bottle. do i just take it away from her and let her cry about it. i just am not sure what to do about it.

FoxMulder1993

Asked by FoxMulder1993 at 12:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would give her water, and if you already give her water. I would talk to her and explaine that big girls don't take bottles at night and take it oway
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Tell her that bottles are for babies and that she's a big girl now and doesn't need the bottle. Trade the bottle with a sippy cup and light snack before bed. Let her choose her snack and a special cup to use at first.

#1 thing to remember...once you take it away, DO NOT give it back!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It's going to sound mean but just take it.. Seriously.. It may take a few nights but she will learn she will be fine without the bottle. Take them and just get rid of them.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:06 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I agree witht he previous posters. Either just take it away or put something in it that she hates. She will decide she doesnt want it.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 2:10 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You take it away at 12 months old. Period, end of story.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• don't give it to her. Are you putting your child to bed with milk? IF so your doing nothing but promoting baby bottle mouth.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:17 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Stop giving it to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• the question should be asked so I am asking it. why is she still taking a bottle? and sleeping with you. you take all bottles throw them away. ahe will cry, but just for a couple of nights. read to her in her bed. get a bedtime routine and stick to it. no sippy cups either. she's to old to be babied. I know that sounds mean, but shell be in school soon, she has got to learn to be a big girl.
    a-boys-world

Answer by a-boys-world at 8:38 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i got a sippy cup with a rubber spout kind of simalr to a bottle.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:01 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I agree with a-boys-world. Some school will not accept her if shes not off the bottle and fully potty trained. The training can take some time so get started momma.
    Se-Se

Answer by Se-Se at 10:08 AM on Aug. 18, 2009