red dye in foods

my sister in law wont give her son any food(or even stamps) with red dye in it because she said it makes him crazy and hyper. do any of you have any experience with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• It seems to have some effects on my son as well. Since i've been cutting back on the foods, drinks, etc that have red dye in it he's been alot calmer and more well behaved. It seems to be a common thing (The link between hyperness and red dye)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:26 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yes my hubbys mom never gave him foods with red dye in them for that reason, and my son is the same way
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:26 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• yes red dye #5 makes 2 of my boys go crazy!!!
    babylovin

Answer by babylovin at 7:02 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I have a friend that avoids all dyes and the couple of times I have seen her son with any dye I understand why! I try to avoid them as much as possible myself too, but we aren't really strict about it and I haven't seen much of a difference in my kids when they do get dye. It affects some kids and not others.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• There have actually been studies done that show that many food dyes, not just the red dye, do affect some children in negative ways, causing them to develop symptoms of ADHD in a relatively short period of time.

Here is a link to some of those studies: http://www.feingold.org/pg-study.html

Here is a link to the most recent of those studies from The Lancet (British medical journal): http://www.feingold.org/Research/lancet.html
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:20 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• this is a very common reaction.

We avoid all artificial additives and eat mostly whole foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• YES!! My son is a completely different kid when he has red dye and some other food additives.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009