vampire kitten

any suggestions on how to "tame" my new kitten. She is about 7 weeks old and was brought from a farm to an exclusively indoor existance. I did this with my other cat (now 4 years old)- but I don't remember what I did to have him stop being so vicious.

Any ideas on how to settle down my biting, scratching attack kitten?- I am afraid she will accidently hurt my son (her claws have been clipped with nail clippers- so they aren't too sharp, but man- those teeth are Sharp!)

Thank you:)

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 1:19 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Pets

• I know kittens are usually crazy at that age, try getting some sort of bitter spray, usually they scratch and bite. If shes just scratching I have no idea, but good luck.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• What we did with all three of our cats is we would scruff them when they'd get too aggressive, and give them a light tap on the nose. The scruffing releases endorphins and makes them calm down, and the tap on the nose is a quick "Hey, I don't like that" kind of thing. All three of our cats are well-adjusted turds. :-p
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:15 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• To get one to calm down, you're going to have to get a very tight scruff. Tight enough that they won't be able to squirm out or reach you with claws. It should come close to drawing his mouth open. Hold him face-level with you, and put your fingers on his chest. think, Thumb=rib, index=shoulder, middle=neck, ring=shoulder, pinky=rib, and slowly but gently, draw your fingers together so they touch in the middle of his chest.

I guarantee you, enough of the slow caressing will eventually get him calm enough to sit on your lap. He needs some reassurance that you're not going to hurt him, and some desensitization and exposure to teach him you won't let anything happen to him either.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2009