Is this the start of pre-term labor?

On sunday morning, after having sex on saturday night, I noticed a thin, watery vaginal discharge along with some mild stomach cramps. After a day of no sex, I havent had any cramps or discharge. Im 5 months pregnant, and Im worried that I could be leaking amniotic fluid. My baby is still moving around a lot. Could this be the start of pre-term labor, or something else?

Bits08

Asked by Bits08 at 1:25 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't know. I would definitely call the doctor and see what they say. IF it is preterm labor they may be able to stop it.. but only if you let them know. You may have to be put on bedrest. I went to the hospital when I was 26 weeks because I didn't feel right. Nothing tragic and I was dialating and ended up having to stay there on bedrest for 2 weeks. They gave me 2 shots for their lungs which helped them amazingly once I had them. If I wouldn't have gone to the hospital that night I may not have my girls.
    I had my twins at 28 weeks and it was not fun at all. Good luck! I hope that it's not.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Could be lots of things. Sperm contains hormones that cause contractions. 5mos is very early. When is your next OB appt? If it's soon call to ask advice. If it's not this week, Make it this week after you call to ask. Make sure you are comfortable with the answer you get from the OB. If there is no more fluid leaking, I wouldn't worry too much but I would also talk to the OB before sex again.
    GotteAClue

Answer by GotteAClue at 1:38 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I honestly think you are fine. At 5 months I know I had a lot of watery discharge after sex...it's because you are producing sooo much more discharge and the sperm is mixing in with it and watering it down. I would have it running down my inner thighs, I got checked out and everything was fine. Some women just start experiencing a lot more discharge than others. The cramping is fine too, sex will cause that to happen, especially at the point you're at. I would cramp too and now that I'm thirty three weeks I will get contractions after sex, it's perfectly normal. If your discharge is constantly flowing out of you for a while, you start bleeding or your cramps are coming in a constant pattern then you need to go to the ER. Just in case though, call your OB if you don't have an appointment coming up and see if they can just check you out. But I'm sure you're fine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Sperm does not contain hormones that cause contractions. Orgasm causes the uterus to tighten and loosen, therefore causing contractions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• um actually the sperm is what puts u into labor. the orgasm does not. The sperm softens the tissue
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yes, sperm softens the CERVIX. but the sperm DOES NOT cause contractions. the orgasm causes contractions, the sperm allows your cervix to dilate, very different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Aug. 18, 2009