Is it better to tear or to have an episiotomy?

KayLundy3

Asked by KayLundy3 at 2:12 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Tear
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It's possible you WON'T tear....I'd skip the episiotomy and take the chance. (I *did* tear but it wasn't bad. If you can get them to let you birth in a squatting postion it reduces your risk.)

Answer by gdiamante at 2:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• According to my OB, it is better to tear. He doesn't do episiotomies.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:45 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I am young and a have a small frame. My daughter was 8lbs 12 oz and I did not tear at all.

Do perineal massage while pregnant to reduce the risk of tearing. My midwife also helped me "open" while I was in active labor, which I believe reduced my risk of tearing. I also had a waterbirth- so that may have had something to do with it.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:55 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I haven't experienced it yet, but I am not letting them perform an episiotomy what-so-ever. It cuts through a lot deeper than tearing (IF you even tear), can damage muscle (which could cause the inability to feel much, the inability to return to size, etc), & has a longer recovery time. There is no actual NEED for one, it apparently just makes it easier for the doctor. Do the perineal massages that Bellarose mentioned & if possible pick a position other than flat on your back with your legs up (even if it's just elevated so you're slightly sitting up will lower tearing chances).
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:12 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• According to my midwife, it is better if neither happen. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:14 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• obviously its better to have none of that. i wouldnt tear, so i had an episiotomy, healed fine and didnt give me any trouble
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 3:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i had an episiotomy with my 1st DD, With My 2nd DD I ripped a lil and I would rather tear then be cut down there healed much faster with the tear then with the episiotomy
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 4:10 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• DEFINITELY tear. If you get cut, you're more likely to tear even more. Think about it this way; if you take a sheet, and try to rip it in half, it's going to be very hard to do so. But, if you make a little snip in the sheet, you can pretty easily rip it the rest of the way. Also, if you get cut and then you have another baby you are much more likely to tear along the scar. That happened to me and it is AWFUL!!! I had a lot of problems after the episiotomy with my first, but then tearing with my second made it even worse.
    Busymama07

Answer by Busymama07 at 4:35 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• 4 kids....
    4 natural childbirths....
    1 episiotimy weeks of itching and pain& lots of stitches(1st born)....
    2 minor tears no need for repair
    I vote for tear.
    GotteAClue

Answer by GotteAClue at 4:49 AM on Aug. 18, 2009