12yo daughter wants to wear thongs

My 12 year old daughter has been begging me to buy her thong underwear, shes in 7th grade and says every other girl in her class wears them and she gets made fun of during gym in the locker room for wearing "granny panties". I dont even know what to think of the whole situation, it seems silly to stop her from wearing them but shes only 12. Im so lost on this one, advice anyone?? =-/

Jen_Rich

Asked by Jen_Rich at 9:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• i think i was this age when i started wearing them. at first i didnt want to but i tried them and they are VERY much more comfortable... its your decision since you are the mom, but if you do let her wear them, make sure she doesnt have them hanging out, because that is when it starts to be more than just underwear! :) best of luck!
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 9:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2008

• eew. Ask her if she wants some cute bikinis/boy shorts. Thongs are just nasty, and can cause bacterial vaginosis from rubbing the anus and vagina.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2008

• let her wear them
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2008

• It sounds as though she may be trying to fit in rather than be sexy or whatever. That is such a hard age; especially these days! Maybe try to encourage her to be her own person and not worry about others; but that's probably out of the question at that age??
    I personally don't think it could hurt anything......I begged my mom to buy me thongs around age 13, and she did, and I ended up hating them! I never even wore them until I was out of highschool! I hope that helps!
    MammaCroft

Answer by MammaCroft at 9:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2008

• Is this when you start letting her do things, Just because "everyone else in her class does it too"???? IMO.... that's not 12 yro. underwear.... it's not 16 year old undies.... its 21 and over undies.... and I highly doubt everyone else in her class is really wearing butt-flossers! Seriously. Thongs aren't even underwear. They don't cover anything. That's just gross. Bikini's... OK Hipsters.... fine! You gotta have cotton covering the coochie! No crack in school. Crack kills!
    bupkie

Answer by bupkie at 9:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2008

• For some reason some girls really want thongs. My younger cousin started wearing them as a teenager & won't wear anything else. It wasn't because she was sexually active, she tried them because they were popular & now she won't wear anything else. Some of my friends swear by them as well (though they started wearing them in their 20s). All of them say that they don't have any problems with them. If you just can't deal with the idea of her wearing a thong, than at least let her pick her own underwear so she can pick some that are not plain "granny panties." You don't want her to feel like the dork of her class. They have many different cuts, styles & patterns. If she can find really cute ones the thong thing might not matter so much.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2008

• ps to correct the anon post, you will only get antibacterial infection if YOU dont wash your coochie and butt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2008

• Its just that most parenting things are common sense, it might not always make your children happy but you have to do whats best for them, with this I dont even know. Im sure its very humiliating if shes the only girl thats stuck wearing granny panties and at this age the last thing I want for her is to be left out of the group but I look at myself and I didnt start wearing thongs til I was 21, and the only thongs I own now are either part of lingerie sets or ones my husband has bought me for valentines day, my bday, etc. Not to mention just within a couple days of her approaching me about this I saw 3 different girls with thongs sticking out of there pants, and thats something I absolutly would not accept of her. Im so lost on this whole thing.
    Jen_Rich

Answer by Jen_Rich at 9:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2008

• I thought I would see other answers like mine. Heck no! I wouldn't force her to wear granny panties either. She might get mad but I bet she gets over it. Besides, who will be seeing her panties anyway?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2008

• Just to quote you, and something that you might consider:
    "Not to mention just within a couple days of her approaching me about this I saw 3
    different girls with thongs sticking out of there pants, and thats something I absolutly
    would not accept of her. Im so lost on this whole thing. "

I'm not sure about your school codes, but this is against the school dress codes in public schools in my area. They will call your parents, send you home, and for multiple offenses, suspend you from school! Yes, for thongs sticking out of your low rise jeans.
    bupkie

Answer by bupkie at 9:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2008