Necessities?

Do you consider a baby swing a necessity? Me and hubs argued a lot about this because we are on a tight budget. I say its helpful, especially for me since Ill be home with the baby most of the time.. What would you say?
(for my unborn)

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 3:26 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont think its a necessity but very helpful, if your baby likes the swing, some dont.

I will be purchasing one if I dont get one at my shower because I really hope our baby likes it, and if not, my cousin is having a baby shortly after me so i will just give it to her if mine rejects it
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 3:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My daughter loves her swing; she's almost 3 months. On the other hand, Boppy makes a bouncer/seat thing that costs around $50, and it is DEFINITELY a necessity. We use that thing every day! It's great to put in the kitchen when I'm cooking, or near the computer when I'm emailing, etc.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:33 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I don't think it's necessary at all. I got a hand me down and DD just stayed in there for 3 months and she outgrew it. For the price you are paying, why bother with the swing. And you aren't suppose to put a newborn in the swing to begin with..they are still so fragile in the first month. So the swing was really only good for 2 months. Go figure..
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 5:55 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Swings are expensive and some babies just don't like them. My son would cry every time, no less than 30 seconds after putting him in it.

I would look at other options before purchasing a swing.
    jessnpaulie1014

Answer by jessnpaulie1014 at 5:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I had a swing for my oldest. I did NOT have one for my younger two...never used one for either of them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:25 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Necessary? No. Helpful? Yes.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:22 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It was very helpful to me, but it doesn't have to be expensive - try craigslist for an inexpensive, used one. My son loved it and stayed in it until he outgrew it around 7 months. We still haven't put ours up for sale yet and now at 9 months he'll still sit in there at times and rock when he's tired. (It's a papsan swing with a mirror above him that he loved to look it) I got it for $50 on craigslist and the people selling it threw in a vibrating bouncy seat as well.

Answer by missanc at 8:49 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Nice to have. You can get them reasonably priced. My daughter still used her close to one year. It helps put them to sleep and all. You can't use the bouncer chair once they learn to sit up, so if you are going to invest in one or the other, I say skip the bouncer. YOu can get a portable swing, even if you like the portabliltiy.

They also have one that holds the car seat that's about $50. You could probably find ti online even cheaper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Definitely nice to have. My son always needed a change of scenery. I'd DEFINITELY get a bouncy-chair. You can move it around, and be sure to get one that has a safety belt. Plus, new ones are pretty inexpensive. I'm a big fan of finding hand-me-down's that are clean, safe & in good condition! Check out craigslist.com, the newspaper for garage sales and also thrift/consignment shops. Set a budget - it is sometimes easy to overspend when you find great deals, haha. Just don't get a used carseat :-), not the safest way to go!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:38 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my ds loved his! I spent about $5 on it at a thrift store. You could try yard sales, thrift stores, craigslists, etc
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 3:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2009