Hysterectomy

I just found out I will be having a hysterectomy, and I am only 30 years old. I have already been told it will be an open procedure (like a c-section). My ovaries are supposed to be left, although there are several cysts on each and the final decision will be made during surgery. They will also be doing something to my bladder for stress incontinece. I need some advice on what to expect during recovery and long term.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Health

• I had a total Hysterectomy in march of 2006 and it took be about 12 - 15 weeks to get back to normal. There is alot of pain if the first few week to where you don't want to cough or anything like that. But it is true the more you make yourself move around the better it is. If I can help you in anyway please feel free to contact me :) good luck!
    offtop

Answer by offtop at 3:58 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• What your going through alot of women have, I personally had one several years ago and I feel better now, its great not to have periods and worry about that mess, you will probably still have your ovaries or at least one, I too had cysts on both and they were able to remove the cysts from one, but had to remove the other ovarie, you will do fine, recovery is short term, you will be uncomfortable the first week and sore the next but should be doing fine after that, move, walk and do normal activities around the house, but no heavy lefting. Good luck, you'll be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago.  The day of the surgery I was in a lot of pain and discomfort but once I was on my feet the next day, I felt so much better.  Follow your doctor's recovery instructions to the letter.  DON'T BE TEMPTED TO OVERDO THINGS EVEN THOUGH YOU FEEL OK! 

You may go through menopause early so be aware of any hormonal symptoms or changes.  If they do occur then talk to your doctor.

Good luck and I promise you won't miss periods. LOL.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:40 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

Answer by rkoloms at 11:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I was told I'd be having one last year and I said No. Are you sure your dr told you all the other options other than this?

Answer by admckenzie at 12:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009