Put racist and prejudists aside.....

Not looking for a feud here, but I was wondering, do you think it's ok for a white person to make African influenced jewelry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Why not? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 4:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Honestly, I don't think there is a problem with it. For one thing, there are white people who are African - they live there, they were born there, their parents lived and were born there, etc. That makes them African, regardless of their skin color.

Just like, frankly, people who are African American are, for the most part, not African. They are American. They were born and raised in America, their parents were born and raised in America, etc. (I say for the most part, because, like any other group, there are people who are recent immigrants.) So, technically, they are less "African" than the whites from Africa - they're American.

The thing about the US is that it's a melting pot - every culture, every ethnic group, has contributed something to the overall culture, and divisiveness over "this is our culture, you can't have any of it" or "that's your culture, I don't want any part of it" just shows narrow mindedness.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Nope! I wear African skirts and jewelry. I love it!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:39 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Oh, and to the previous poster, I know some White Africans. When they come to the States they always check African on those applications/forms that ask your color/heritage. It is SO funny to hear about how people react!! As if all Africans are black. I also know some very Indian looking Africans!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• micheledo,

lol - that was exactly my point - nationality / national culture has nothing to do with race - there are people of all races from all sorts of nationalities. To assume that just because someone is from Africa means they are black, or just because someone is black means they are from Africa is simply not true.

People need to embrace differences and cultures and get over the racial aspects of it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:54 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I forgot about white Africans, thanks! I just don't want to offend anyone. This will be interesting, but I'm hoping that no one will have a problem with it. I agree, they shouldn't, but you never know. Especially in the South, like Alabama.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• See, that's what always got me. I grew up in the south and down there black people preferred to be called black. Of course, this was years ago so it has probably changed due to the infestation of political correctness this country suffers from. When I went to church camp our counselors for the HS Seniors group were both African and as white as could be (although, they had nice tans). Heck, there is a case being put before the Supreme Court right now because authorities say a man falsely represented himself by stating he was African American and received money for schooling, I believe. The problem - his skin is white! But he was born and spent most of his life in Africa! Go figure. The government wants to pigeon hole us and make us fit their nice little boxes. I say, make the jewelry. Who cares what everyone else thinks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2009