what do i do?

My daughter is 5 and i have tried everything possible to get her potty trained she will go if i take her but she wont tell me she has to go or go by herself. She has a 4 year old sister who is fully potty trained she will go all by herself but i dont understand why my 5 year old wont. I have been trying on and off since she was 3 we have moved 2 times in that period and added a new member to the family i thought all of that might have had something to do with it but i just dont know. And shes so hyper. She doesnt listen to anything that we tell her to do. Should i take her to the doctor or wait until she starts school and see if her teacher suggets anything i dont know what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would take her to the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• yes take her to the doc...they might have recommendations you haven't thought of yet
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:33 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Sounds like all the new changes and her energy are making it hard for her to be consistent. Remember, kids crave attention, negative or positive (they just want a reaction) and your daughter has mastered the art of consistently getting your attention by having accidents. She may be experiencing stress from all the changes. I am trained in child development and have seen several different issues related to potty training. It is often the case that the accidents are caused by stress and changes. Starting school for her is going to be another major change so it is best not to have her start school without addressing the problem with her pediatrician and teacher. Come up with a consistent routine, a plan that can be implemented at school and at home the same way. Be sure to give her positive attention when she uses the potty (reward her with a sticker and put it on a "potty chart" in the bathroom). Im continuing this below.....
    verygina

Answer by verygina at 11:55 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• When there is an accident she is old enough to clean it up herself. This makes her responsible for her actions. Unless there is a medical problem, this should work. Be CONSISTENT and be patient! Let me know how it goes, I am curious...hope this was helpful :)

verygina@yahoo.com
    Gina
    verygina

Answer by verygina at 11:59 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i have tried giving her stickers and suckers and other things also.. She will go to the potty and pee and poop in the potty she actually went all day in underwear without an accident but she wont go by herself thats my worry. And she does things that could get her hurt we have tried telling her she could hurt her self but 5 min later she does it again. Like she likes to climb in her bedroom window i try and tell her she could get hurt but she still does it. I dont know what to do..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• They won't let her in school if she isn't potty trained. You wouldn't want her to suffer the humiliation of an accident anyway, would you? That kind of thing can follow a kid all the way through elementary school. I would take her to the doctor.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 9:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• um the school here will because where i am at she has to go to school at the age of 5 and i have a friend whose son goes to the same school my daughter will be going to and he wears pull ups to school..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 AM on Aug. 19, 2009