When did you have your elective C section? Any complications?

I would like to know when you had your elective section. Please only answer if you were NOT in labour before you had your c section (ie; you were booked into to have one, but labour started beforehand). Did your child have any complications? Particularly breathing related?
Thank you in advance.

mummy2tristan

Asked by mummy2tristan at 8:03 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes. I was set to be induced at 37 weeks since I was in early labor twice before at 32 and 35 weeks. I had several problems during my pregnancy and my doctor felt I was far enough along to attempt to deliver a healthy boy. WRONG! Not her fault or anyone else's it just turned out that we were all wrong.

They started my labor and I was listed that afternoon as failure to progress. I went in for a c-section and turns out my son was wedged into my hips (transverse) and when they got him out of me he had surfactant deficiency and wasn't breathing right. His lungs weren't developed all the way even after several rounds of steroids shots in my hips the previous times I was in early labor. He was in the NICU Level III for 10 days before I could hold him and for 3 weeks total before I could bring him home.

If you are considering an early delivery (prior to 38 weeks) then don't do it. I am lucky my son lived. He is 8 now.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i had my son six weeks early via c-section( was in labor but he was in a transverse lie) so they did a section he came in weighing 4lbs 11 oz and spent only 6 days in theniu and it wasnt because he had a breathing problem....he couldnt keep his body temperature up and he had to learn to eat....other than that he was fine and hes never been sick since( i mean hes gotten colds but nothing serious) but thats my situation everyone elses is different.....i got lucky.....but i went into labor on my own.....i wasnt induced or anything
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 8:32 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I had my son by c-sec almost 19 years ago after being in labor for over 38 hours and no progress, sooo when I got pregnant with my daughter shortly after my son's 9th b-day, my doc decided to schedule a c-sec to avoid going through what I had gone through before. My daughter was delivered with me free of any contractions, etc., at 39 weeks. She was very healthy, 7 lbs, 5 oz and came home with me 2 days later. She's now 9 and an honor roll student, very active and has tons of friends. I think as long as you don't deliver before 38 weeks, and most docs won't , everything should be fine. Good Luck and God Bless!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• both my boys we scheduled c-sections! Harley was born at 37 1/2 weeks on november 3rd. NO LABOR! It went so wonderfully! And my second son Zach was the same. But with an issue! I was in the hospital getting ready for my c-section when i started bleeding heavy. he tore the plc with his feet ugh but other than that it was great and no issues!
    mommy-

Answer by mommy- at 10:03 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I had a scheduled c-section for my first, but went into labor a day and a half before my date. So, with my second baby, my doctor scheduled it just a little early so that I could make the date this time. I was due April 21 and she scheduled it for April 13. It was just in time. I was 50% efaced, dialated to a 2 and starting have really bad lower back pain when I went in. She thinks I was in the early stages of labor as they prepped me for surgery.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:28 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I had a scheduled C-section for my first, at 39 wks 2 days. He was a perfectly healthy baby. Had a little bit of jaundice, but nothing that required extra attention, and he got to go home with me after the normal 3 days in the hospital. Definitely no breathing problems, he was a screamer, had/has a great set of lungs. He's 2 now, and has only been sick twice in his life, and neither time warranted a trip to the doctor. Hope that helped! :-)

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:40 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I had a scheduled c-section for my 2nd because I had a c-section with my first after labor and pushing etc.

The 2nd c-section was scheduled for when I was 39 weeks pregnant. It went perfectly no problems. She nursed like a champ as soon as I got out of recovery and never had problems, she was a tiny little thing, but healthy.

This time I am having another c-section next week at one day before 39 weeks.

I wouldn't want it scheduled before 38 and 1/2 weeks so that the baby has the best chance of being ready to be born. Unless there are emergency reasons for doing it earlier.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 11:14 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My scheduled c-section this time around will happen at 39weeks 2 days..

My first one got scheduled the same day I went in.. and i was around 42.5 weeks.

Didn't have any issues with the first.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 12:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2009