is it normal for a 6,7,8 yr old to kill frogs , birds , ect ...

im just asking because when we were out out the farm , my 6 yr old beat a little frog to death with a stick , and well this is the first time hes ever done anything like this .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• um, not really, unless he doesn't understand what death is. keep an eye on him if he starts to kill other things then you need to get him some help!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Well no, not inherently. I mean little boys do stuff like that. Sometimes its just out of curiosity. They love to be rough and also its a need to exert some level of control over a smaller creature. It doesnt mean hes disturbed or anything. If, however, a child is constantly destroying things and killing animals, has an obsession with it and setting things on fire and you see this a reoccurant and very aggressive behavior, then I might be a bit upset. You know the difference. We found a pretty big tree frog last night and my boys love frogs and lizards and stuff, so I told him to see if he could catch it but I instructed him to be very gentle with it and not to hurt it. They caught it and it peed on them so they had to let it go. My son also mentioned hunting the other day. He wants a BB gun and I told him that those are for shooting cans and not animals. He really didnt realize it wasnt cool to shoot an animal for sport.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:01 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• IMHO, it is not normal for a child of any age or sex to beat something to death.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:17 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No, it's not normal and shouldn't be tolerated for one second
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• this is the first time hes ever done anything thing like this is in his life , and well when i called his dad his dad said that yes it was normal for little boys .. so thats why i thought i would ask you all .. i know this will sound dumb , but could some of you ask your dh's what they think ..?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• ummmmmmmmm, no it's not I'd talk to my child's doctor, he can tell you if he believes it to be a concern.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• LOL...men will say dumb stuff like that...."it's normal". I don't listen to my husband when he talks out of his ass for certain things. It's not normal. I answered this in the other section. Just have a talk with your son about living things...animals, trees, etc. He probably doesn't quite understand what he did but it's our jobs as parents to teach them right from wrong.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 10:38 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• NO it's not normal. I remember when my oldest(who is now 17) came home one day after playing with a friend from school. He was 6 at the time, and said that this boy had dropped a bowling ball on a frog. I was mortified to say the least, and told him he had to stay up front to play from then on. The boy lived across the alley behind our house at the time. The kid had tons of behavior probs in school i found out later on.

I would definitely say this is not normal. It's one thing to kill an animal for food, but another to kill an animal out of anger..no; and it sounds like he has some anger issues or something else happening inside his little mind. My opinion, have him checked out by a professional. He may seem "okay" overall in his daily life, but there may be some undiagnosed problem that is just coming to fruition and my fear for your little guy is that he may harm another child if this isn't remedied or diagnosed soon.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would also point blank ask him "why" he did that. Maybe he saw someone else do something similar, and just reinforce the fact that it is not okay to do what he did and that you don't hurt animals or people if you are angry or "just for fun". If you are spiritual, use the fact that "this is one of God's creatures" or "we harm none with our words and actions" it's not kind to hurt someone or kill them. Open up lines of communication, be firm but not angry.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Nope, not normal at all. I have 3 boys - the most they've ever done as far as "killing" is stepping on a bug - and they were scolded for that. It could've just been a curiosity thing.... but maybe not.

You need to talk to your son to find out why he did it, explain to him why it's not okay to do that. That should put an end to it, but if not -- you need to consult with his dr. Torturing/killing small animals as a child is a sign of trouble. Ask any psychologist - kids the take joy in that grow up to be the "oh he was so nice... quiet... kept to himself..." axe murderers of tomorrow.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 18, 2009