is it normal for a 6,7,8 yr old to kill frogs , birds , ect ...

im just asking because when we were out out the farm , my 6 yr old beat a little frog to death with a stick , and well this is the first time hes ever done anything like this .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• No
    Some theropists and even cops would say that would be the beginning of a killer.
    Most murders started off as kids killing small animals.
    I personally would get him to talk to a dr about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• so your saying that because my child has killed one thing in his life .. being a frog , and im posting to see if its normal hes going to be a killer ..?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No, it is not normal. you should call a counselor today.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• http://www.ahimsarescuefoundation.org/raising_kind_kids.htm
    you need to read this
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet. You know that you've dealt with the situation with him appropriately and have explained to him the repercussions of what he did. Its not necessarily normal, but its not something that no other child has ever done. If he doesn't ever do it again, which I would tend to think will be the case, then you won't have anything to worry about. If the behavior persists, then of course, you'll want to talk with y'alls ped and get a referral for a good pschologist or therapist. Good luck, I hope he took your conversation to heart and realizes what he did and it was the last time it'll happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• OMG, NO, IT"S NOT NORMAL. There are a lot of published articles, books, and such out there that suggest this is how torturers, killers, start out. not saying you child WILL be a killer, but if the behavior continues, it would seem he finds it enjoyable?

If my son, age 7, were to do that, i would be getting professional help ASAP.

I'm not judgeing you, you're asking and that's good. Please get your boy some help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It's normal for boys. It's even more normal if afterward they start picking the animal apart to see what is inside. Does your child seem like he's going to take a baseball bat to his little sister? Probably not. Girls will do it also, but usually more out of fear. But remember Sarah Palin takes her riffle out and kills large game - does that make her a killer? We are suppose to kill things, it's in our nature to kill to survive.
    And people who post ridiculous answers anonymously are just trying to cause trouble. If they knew anything they would show their face. To ask a question anonymously to avoid ridicule is understandable, to post garbage as an answer is not.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my son is raised on a farm with pigs chickens , goats , ect .. he has dogs, cats and horses and hes never even hit one of them in a harmful way .. this is the first time hes ever done anything to an animal in a harmful way ... the only other things hes ever killed has been bugs .. so because my child has killed one little frog .. you all seem to think hes going to be a killer .. wow .. all i was asking was if this was normal for little boys.. his father who i called said it was normal , granted his father is a hunter/fisher ect ... but i wanted others opinions but well all everyone is telling me is my child is a killer .. wtf .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• This is why I hate these forums, people ask a question and moms answer with a kind of gut instinct and post judgment without any thought. The boy is 6! When I was 8 a boy found a dead bird on the street, he ran in and got his moms best stake knives and we chopped it up to see what was inside. The next day he killed a frog, we were all so excited to see what was inside a frog we couldn't wait to get those stake knives out. Never once did we try to open up each other! I have friends who are still friends with the kid - now guy - he went to college and is now a child physical therapist.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:08 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• it isnt always a problem.. but if he starts being violent towards other animals it can be.. my SD started this facination with death at around age 7.. now 3 eyars later we cant ahve pets because shes killed most of them... if she sees an animal out in the yard she wants to kill it.. we dont trust her alone with the children, we have to hide and lick doors when shes here...

just use your judgement as his mother.. make sure he knows that killing is wrong.. and when in doubt ask his dr's
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:16 AM on Aug. 18, 2009