Does this infuriate anyone else?

I usually have ABC "Family" channel on block at my house but occasionally they have kids movies on and my kids like to watch them. I'm just so disgusted by the commercials on this channel. Why the heck would they run commercials for Kourtney and Khloe go Miami which is on the E channel, right in the middle of the movie Matilda? I mean there were girls kissing girls and lifting there tops up. I'm just done with that channel period but I feel awful that I trusted them once again and here my kids had to see that. I know eventually they will be exposed to that behavior but they certainly don't need to be seeing that garbage at their young ages. I'm just putting this out there for any moms that may watch that channel so they aren't shocked and amazed by the antifamily commercials and shows they have on there.

jojo13

Asked by jojo13 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• O i agree the abc "family" is not so. there are more unfamily type shows on there. definitely not for young kids. I mean the american teen show....a what 14, 15 year old getting pregnant? just because it happens, doesnt mean little kids need to think its ok, and think thats whats acceptable when they get older. now i'm not condemning the young girls who do get pregnant, just saying, it shouldnt be promoted. Unfortunately on cable they show other channels commercials, even on nick, or the cartoon channel. I dont like it either.

AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Doesn't bother me at all. My kids watch the syfy channel with my all the time (my son is a big Star Trek nut...he's 7) and every other commercial is for online booty call or extenze (the male enhancement drug that ACTUALLY makes you bigger). The commercials are freaking ridiculous and super long. I either change the channel (even when it's just me watching because I find them stupid and annoying) or redirect my kids attention or just ignore them. The kids don't think they are a big deal if I don't make them into a big deal, they just ignore them, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:06 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Im sorry but kids do notice them and they will eventually be a big deal. I think thats called burying your head in the sand because youre too lazy to notice. Yes, OP, ABC family is anything BUT family. I told my girls last night that I didnt want them watching Secret Life. Its nothing but sex all the time every show. Girls calling other girls whore and sluts and oh youre just mad because the sex is better with me than with you...WTH?! I know adults who dont talk like that. I dont anyway and it certainly does not represent our family values. I so agree with you and I think its great youre taking a stand in your home. You cant control everyone elses house, but you can decide what goes on in your home. I am not looking for trendy, I am looking for character, integrity and morality so that I may teach my children better than whats going on in the world. It might be only me that takes a stand, but so be it!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:31 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Doesn't bother me. But I let my son watch just about anything. I don't feel the need to shelter my children. It is just TV. It isn't real.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:37 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Well it's good to know there are still a few parents out there that care what their young children are exposed to. I can't believe the cavalier attitude that parents are letting their kids watch whatever they want. Being exposed to sex, drinking and other adult activities at such young ages will have an effect on them later in life. You can't take it back once they've been exposed to it. I don't let my kids watch those shows on there either but once in a while I figure they can watch a kids movie and it would be fine but I just can't have that channel on at all. I have contacted them about it now twice not that they will care at all but at least I feel better knowing they know I'm not watching their channel anymore.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• syfy channel? do you mean Sci-Fi?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Anon, Sci-Fi recently changed their name to SyFy.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I know exactly how you feel and I agree with you 110%. I don't allow my kids to watch anything other than Noggin or Nickelodeon in the mornings. Anything after 10, they don't watch. I "shelter" my children b/c they are innocent and need to be sheltered from all the crap that they shouldn't be exposed to. If that's called sheltering. Everything today is centered around sex and things that shouldn't be discussed or shown on TV, not even for adults. I was watching TV this morning and a KY commercial came on and was COMPLETELY inappropriate. I am just finished with TV. We have gotten to the point where we just basically watch DVD's. Cable is getting rediculous and I don't want my kids growing up believing that most of this mess is acceptable.
    mybrowneyedboys

Answer by mybrowneyedboys at 7:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Just about every station gets on my nerves. EVEN Disney. My children watch Disney, PBS, and sometimes animal planet. PBS is the only one I feel totally safe with.

They do watch regular channels with me and I need to cut that out.
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 8:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i stopped watching tv over a year ago.. my daughter doesn't watch any tv at all. indecent and pretty much disgusting even the news people.. can't watch the news without the anchor women's breast in your face. i think parents should complain especial on family channels about indecency.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009