How many of you that believe in God and read the bible actually learned about your faith from an unbiased angle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can't say that I learned from an unbiased angle (I'm a preacher's kid) - which eventually led to a complete spiritual melt-down. I spent two years with my foundations being torn down and rebuilt. Trust me, when you get sincere with God he will get sincere with you. The Refiners Fire is hard to walk through, but once you do, you're never the same. I am now unbiased as far as man's teaching is concerned, but very biased when it comes to seeking God first. I accept nothing any man says as truth or correct until I have weighed it with God's scale through prayer, study and meditation.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• pacemyself,that is such a great answer. I agree with what you said 100%. I can't say I learned mine from an "unbiased" source, either. I was raised in church,but had never accepted Jesus as my Savior. But, when I hit my rock bottom (and it is different for everyone, trust me), I had nowhere left to look but up, nowhere left to reach but up. I guess the "unbiased" source I learned from was my own stupid mistakes,and experiences. What I learned is that God was always there, waiting for me to turn to Him. Had never turned His back on me, loves me with a Father's love,which I'd never had on earth, wants me to be happy, and will do anything to help me be happy. Through my studies the last 6+ years of living in Him, I've learned just how deep that love is, and what my part in all this is.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I believe in god, & i read the bible. But i am not Christian. I guess i can say i found my relationship w/ god on un-biased terms. Both my parents practice eastern philosphies, but my mom will always stay true to her Catholic ways.....even though she meditates & chants OM....lol!
    But, my parents left all our religious decisions to ourselves. They gace us books to read on different religions, & that was all they really did. My sister DID become Christian. I took the hindu path, as my mother 1/2 ass did.

When i read the bible, i had already read tni Dhama Pada, The Gita, the Coran & a bunch of other self help & religious books. So, i was totally unbiased the first time i read the bible. The most fascinating thing about the bible IMO, was all the similarities it has w/ other religious books from other cultures.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:39 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I don't think anyone can actually say that they've learned the Bible from an unbiased source. If you've ever heard a pastor, read a devotional or done a study group, you're listening to the word of God and interpretation come out of another person's mouth. Even if you think what they've come up with is the "right interpretation," there are a dozen more people with an interpretation for some passages that are just as earnest, inteligent, educated and love God just as the next person.

For me personally ;-) I have had the opportunity to learn from just about every single angle there is out there. I attended an interdenominational school from Kindergarten-12th grade and a Christian University. Whatever teacher was in charge is the denominational perspective I learned: Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Jewish, Catholic, Pentecostal, conservative, liberal -you name it, I learned it. (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:22 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Part of my schooling was to memorize the Bible. I probably have at least 1/4 of the Bible memorised in KJV. I've read the Bible, on my own, in multiple translations including intralinear to the original language. My parents are conservative, Bible-literalists and my church was from that angle as well.

My beliefs are ones that I have come up with on my own, after reading the scripture and praying for guidance. I reject a lot of things that I was raised to believe and I embrace a lot of the things I was raised to believe. Everything in my doctrine is there because I personally feel it is true. If people want to think that I'm just following along with my denomination (which I chose, I am of a different branch now than I was when I was growing up), I can't help that. The reason that I talk about my denomination so much is because I'm proud of it and our history! :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My denomination is based on the teachings of the individuals behind the Protestant Reformation. We've established schools, hospitals and nursing homes and broken racial barriers. I am first and foremost a follower of God and scripture; I do the best I can as does anyone else. As I've said before, there are a few things in my denomination I disagree with. But I am very proud, proud to be a part of a group with a lot of history and passion for people :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:29 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I learned from an unbiased angle. My mother raised me to ask questions, to believe however speaks true to me, to respect the different faiths, and to choose whatever I please.

There was no indoctrination or assimilation in my family - we discussed (more like brainstormed) and were free to come to whatever conclusions we pleased, with no pressure to adhere to a certain standard.

We weren't taught to believe a specific interpretation of the Bible, but encouraged to interpret the text however it made most sense to us, and the church we attended growing up didn't really push doctrine or biblical literalism - instead the preacher would do sermons on general compassion and love and so on, and therefore we were free to sort through the specifics ourselves.

I am rather unorthodox, as a result, but at least what I believe is what honestly resonates with me, and is what I sought out for myself, instead of being taught to believe it..
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I believe in God and I read the Bible. I personally feel the Bible is pretty straightforward. I guess I am the oddball, LOL.

I base my beliefs fully on the Word of God. I do study it in depth. And I am very careful about whose opinions I let influence my beliefs. I have been trained to be like the people of Berea, who hear the teachings and search the Bible to make sure it is true. There are a lot of false teachers out there and I don't want to be deceived.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would find it hard to believe someone could learn about their faith from a completely unbiased angel. And biasedness is not necessarily a bad thing.

For me, I overheard a Christian asking an athiest why she believed what she believed, and in turn the athiest asked the same to the Christian. They both agreed the only reason they believed what they do is because they were raised that way.

Horrified, I thought, "Dear God, is that my answer too?"

Since then I dove deep into my faith, reading not only Scripture but writings from the Early Church Fathers, Christian History and a whole lot more. I want to share a quote by Augustine in the year A.D. 397 that pretty much sums up the way I feel too. "I would not believe in the gospel myself if the authority of the Catholic Church did not move me to do so."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Was raised in a pagan home with socialist leanings. Learned of Jesus on my own in 1966, was saved and baptized in 1967. Got my first Bible in 1968 .. I still have it. It is well worn and well inked with personal testimonial references. I didn't start walking with God until I was married with a 3 year old daughter - 1978; at the time I was still reading tarot cards and delving into palm reading. I have taken the long way around to get to Jesus, and I know the other paths are not true.

wildflowergal

Answer by wildflowergal at 1:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2009