Anyone have an underweight baby?

At my 6 1/2 month old daughter's last check up she was underweight. She's been in the 25% her whole life, then suddenly she dropped to the negative precentile. She eats every 3 hours. She also has 2 meals of rice cereal mixed with a 2nd foods. I BF, and let her eat until she stops sucking. I don't keep any kind of schedule, whenever she wants to eat I feed her. My breasts are always full, to the point of leaking all the time, so I know that I have an adequate milk supply. She's pretty much happy all the time, and doesn't root around looking for more food after nursing.
So, how heavily do I rely on the growth charts being right? I was small as a baby, and neither my husband nor I are very big as adults. My niece is also tiny, so maybe it just runs in the family.
Any advice from anyone who's been through this?

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 9:59 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my baby is 1 month when he was born he weighed 7.12 was 21 in now he is 7.8 and 27 in and in the 5th % my oldest daughter has always been in the 90-100% my second daughter in the 50th so i think you baby is normal and sounds wonderful as long as she is happy and eating well and not obese dont worry about it every child is differnt my first is tall and skinny like her daddy my 2nd is like me short and average so we wonder who our baby is going to be more like i am going for daddy since he is already 27 inches that was 1 week ago i know he has grown since then lol good luck with your wonderful baby
    whatitbebb

Answer by whatitbebb at 10:35 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• what is underweight? how much does she weigh and height at her 6 month apt?
    mama2myAna

Answer by mama2myAna at 10:04 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• She weighs 12lbs 9oz. And she is 24ins.
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 10:05 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my baby at 6months was 14lbs 28 inches so tall and skinny 25% for weight 97% for height lol and my baby also can eat alot.. and 8 months just hit 17lbs 30 inches so i think its just a small frame and small babies im 5'10 130 myself and hubby is 6'5 210 so both not huge people either i think that plays a big role in it
    mama2myAna

Answer by mama2myAna at 10:07 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yeah, my husband and I are pretty short, I'm 5'4" and he's 5'89", so I'm pretty sure she's just gonna be a shorty her whole life. And I've always been underweight, and my mom was too when she was my age.... I guess it's just in the genes
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 10:09 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my dd is 2 and weighs 19.6 pounds and 33 in. ...shes just small, when i was a kid i weighed 33 pounds at 5 years old! and as an adult im 5'0" 120, my husband is 5'8" and weighs 100 pounds...it may just run in the family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• probably.. my family is tall and twiggy (olive oil from popeye lol) and so will my DD i believe
    mama2myAna

Answer by mama2myAna at 10:15 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If you are concerned about your daughter being underweight, you should bring it up to her doctor. My son is underweight, and his doctor told us to use pediasure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Continue to monitor the weight, but also know that sometimes there will be a wieght that is "off the charts". Mine has usually been in the 5th percentile then at one visit she was in the 80th! Then back down. As long as over all she's following normal groth patterns, it should be fine. Doc had us double check the weight, which was right and then check again the next visit and wasn't concerned after that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My youngest was considered "underweight" when he went on some baby foods. He was a fat little butterball when I was just breastfeeding, but around the same time I started adding a couple jars of veggies or fruit here and there, he also started crawling, and dropped off the chart within a few months. My doctor made a big deal out of it, but he was perfectly fine. Now he's four years old and very solid and tall for his age. As long as your baby is nursing often and healthy, I wouldn't rely much on the charts.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:14 AM on Aug. 18, 2009