why do so many poor people keep having kids?

i mean having kids are a blessing yes.. but why do you have more then you can afford and you struggle to live.. why do that to yourself or your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• so people should only have one a spoil them to death? i know many kids who are hard and dedicated workers because their family struggled... who worked themselves through school and helped their family and had much more character and self discipline than those kids who were better off and spoiled... not saying all are like this but why judge their way the life. i would rather be in a family that eats less and loves more, than a family that is well off and is barley there for each other.

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 10:10 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Because we all have a different idea of what it means to afford children. I am sure many would say we can't afford it but I am pregnant with our 4th. We struggle to make ends meet, we don't take vacations, don't have entertainment unless it is free, buy used vehicles so we don't have payments, etc. Money is tight - but if we wait until many people would say we can afford it, we would never have them. We are taking care of our kids and ourselves and have nothing extra. But that is enough!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I was poor and I stopped at 2. I intended to stop at 1 - but me bc failed. Oops.... had a tubal after that. I don't know that I think it's a fair generalization about ALL poor people - I think it's just another case of "one bad apple". Of course there are different situations - like I was poor when I had my kids, but today I could afford to have another. Other people were financially okay when they had their children - then finances went south. And there are, like you indicate, those who are poor when they are having children and continue to be poor after and they have more than they can afford to be individually financially responsible for. But having children should be a personal decision - and I do wish that people would be more responsible with their decisions - yet I'm still an advocate of it being their decision alone.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:12 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• op-im not saying spoil just 1 child god no dont need brats! lol i just dont get it myself if i couldn't pay my bills and worried where my next meal came from i would not want to bring another child into this world. i guess i see taking family vacations and what not as part of an average childhood then again thats how i was raised in my household
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• So because a family can not afford a vacation they should NOT have children? sad. IMHO I believe if parents can afford clothing, food, and shelter then they can afford children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• would you rather that person have an abortion?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i think bringing a child into the world in alot of cases begins solving the problem. you've seen women and men become more responsible and productive once they knew a child had to depend on them. also i guess if ur poor,there isn't alot of entertainment other than sex{lol}
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 10:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• no your not getting what im saying.. has nothing to do with vacations and what not.. im talking about the people that dont know where their next meal is coming from or how their next bill is getting paid having a 2nd or 3rd baby.. vaca's are just an extra .. vs twisting what i say..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• op-again.. reason i ask this i know a lady has 2 kids on welfare and just had infetro to have a 3rd and barely afforded the two she already had
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I had 4 kids just do you would ask this question and just so people could wonder. Im proud to say that as of right now, I am broke, but not because Im poor, but because I ve poured all of our money into putting my kids into a private school, bought uniforms, shoes, football pants, cleats, school supplies, locker shelves, snacks, gas to go to school, ect. Its very expensive and though its a sacrifice, I know that my kids are better off there. Now my high schooler needs a graphing calculator. The cheapest one is $100. So, some of are broke because we choose to be. I wouldnt have it any other way.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:26 AM on Aug. 18, 2009