Preschool Questions

I am looking around Preschools in my area to send my son to and this is my first child so I am kind of new to this. I do not want to forget to ask anything when I go to tour these places, so I am looking for help in questions to ask. Any help?

Asked by niki23 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in

• ask if they have a set curriculum, if they serve food or if you have to send it... you could probably ask a million things, but if you visit the schools, request a tour and a brochure. that should tell you everything! good luck and have fun!

Answer by mama_moonsong at 10:13 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• There are different types of preschools each with its own philosophy backed by research. Waldorf, montesori, play based, reggio and co-op are the most common ones. You can research each one to see which ones fit in with your beliefs. My son goes to a co-op. The idea of a co-op is that they require the parents to be involved in their child's education inside and outside of the classroom. Parental involvement from the start plays a critical role in educational success. Good luck. If you have any specific questions about the different philosophies send me a message! Gina

Answer by verygina at 10:37 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• For certain, ask how they know who can pick up the child anytime during the day, and how they verify. Tell your son also NOT to go with anyone who does not know the "secret word." With my daughter, it was "broccoli" and she still remembers it to this day, and she is 28.

Answer by isb63 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Take a tour of each one that you are considering. Each preschool is ran differently then the next one. I suggest coming in unannounced, as you will see what is trully going on behind closed doors.

Answer by ronjwake at 3:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2009