When it comes to home/apt renting or buying, have you ever kicked yourself later?

My husband and I jumped at the first apartment we saw because we wanted desperately just to have a place so the kids and I could move up with him. Plus it was a stone's throw from his job. Well we had no idea that there were so many houses for rent that have much more space, a backyard, our own driveway, and CHEAPER than what we pay now. Not to mention, our apartment has gotten broken into once and attempted a second time, and it's in a nice neighborhood and gated. You never really know I guess. But now I'll look online and just kick myself for not waiting or looking more. We have our 3rd baby due in Jan and that's the same month the lease is up, so I can't wait to get us a house and get out of this tiny apartment!!!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Talk to your land lord about the penalty of getting out of the lease early. If your place has been broken into once/twice you should explain that this is not safe for your kids so you want to move. It might be worth the penalty of breaking the lease if a house is cheaper, safer and you would be happier there not having to move in Jan with a new baby, after Christmas in the winter.

My friends' had their garage broken into twice and the landlord didn't make them pay to break the lease. Rare find, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to ask.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 10:31 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• lol houses arent all that great either! we moved into a awesome "fixer upper" 2 years ago.. we knew the landlords, got great rent.... were told we could fix the things wrong with the house and take them off the rent.. .sounded perfect! 2 years later we have 1 working sink out of 4.. you ahve to flush the toilets by pulling the chain in teh tank.. the basement is a moldy mess becuase they refuse to fix the sump pump...

so yeah i know how you feel.. we are moving in 12 days.. and im very nervous about the new place ending up like this one!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:22 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• me and dh did that lol. we had a small 2 bedroom before and always had his girls pluse my dd and a baby so we moved to a bigger place its nice here big yard and just more space but our landlord does nothing ( took him 2 weeks to fix under sink pipe, a month to fix our stove and under bathroom sink still leaks bad ) we found mold downstairs and the celler floods BAD. and squarrles in the walls ( that creeps the kids out lol ) we have to do the lawn maintnes and the plowing and were supose to split cost with neighbors ( duplex ) and not 1 time have they done that and in fact they moved out just recently. and now state is involved casue high lead leval in our son ( not deadly but enough for them to come in and tell lanlord what needs to be fixed and done) our lanlord is an old time farmer and dosnt like to hear a women just men so when hes near me hes a jerk but if dh is around hes nice to him...wont talk to me.is it tax time yet
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i will also add our landlord told dh.." you are a great tenant and i know u will keep house in shape maybe you could buy the house" like he signs it over to us..dh want to work out a deal but i say all that is wrong with the place would cost us more then its worth if i wanted a fixer upper we would have one this place needs to be torn down and statred anew. and the big yard...yeah its like marsh land its always wet and u sink..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yes!! Hubs and I bought our 600 sq ft 2 bedroom house 15 yrs ago. It was just him, myself and the cat. . Now we have 3 kids, 2 cats and not enough space! Unfortunately we can't afford to fix it up or rennovate it, and we can't afford to sell it. We still owe too much- and houses in my area just do not sell-- 1 house on our block (bigger and nicer than ours) has been on the market for over a year-- and no offers.
    So if I could go back in time, I would tell myself to hold out for something bigger, better and in a different city!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:40 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• How about this. We bought our house at the PEAK of the housing marking. Now, we're underwater and can't do crap with the house. We can still afford the payments, so we do not qualify for any sort of help and the loan wasn't backed by Fannie may so no help there. I hear about all these people getting better rates or certain amounts dropped and I get nothing for being a good lendee and paying my loan on time. And now I can't sell until the market bounces back. Oh well. I couldn't have known exactly when it would burst and I wanted out of the nasty roach infested apartment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Well I guess my story isn't as bad as the rest of these but I was looking for an apartment in Dec and wanted one quick because I was living with my mom and sister. My kids dad was also moving back home from out of state so I took the the first apt that looked good to me.
    The manage neglected to tell me that the whole neighborhood had an ant problem. Our apt is crawling with sugar ants no matter what I do, the washer broke and now my carpet is soaked. The doors to the laundry room fell off. Our apt before that, landlord was a nosy bitch who use to come into our apt all the time for "inspection" then when we didn't want to renew our lease, she came up with a list of problems that were not true and wouldn't return our deposit because she said that's how much it cost to clean the apt and repair the holes in the walls from "all the nails we put in" forget the fact that we cleaned before we left and hung NOTHING on the walls!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• yes. I live in Michigan where the housing market is horrible. We bought our house about 6 months before the economy took a crap. we have remodeled the entire place and it is valued at $40000 less than we even paid to begin with. What a bummer!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I ALWAYS PAY MY RENT CEPT WHEN DAD ONWED IT
    molly900

Answer by molly900 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2009