Does your kid freak out going to the dentist/doctor?

My son, light of my life, is scared of doctors. He is scared of getting shots, being hurt or having something done to him. I am certain many children feel this way.

This morning we are going to the dentist and I am sure the screaming will be heard in the next county. I have already prepped the receptionist that we have insurance and I want the good drugs. Give him whatever he needs to make it through the visit. I am sure this won't be our last visit in the near future as well, his poor teeth need a lot of help. I am praying that this dentist will be gentle and explain things to where he can understand it.

What doctor/dentist fear does your child have?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Used to be afraid of the dentist -- and with good cause. They were TERRIBLE. The restraints, trying *note, I said TRYING* to push my out of the room... my poor son had bruises from that visit.

Then another one was better with the kids, but would only work on them if they were put under IV sedation. Yeah, we didn't go back to them either.

We found a new dentist that doesn't use drugs or drills or restraints - now the kids want to go when they don't need to. He's awesome. Took my youngest son in for 4 fillings... one was nearly down to the root.... no shots, no pain meds, no restraints, no drills, no pain. We went straight out to Burger King for lunch afterwards --- wasn't even sore!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My son is two and half and is scared to death of being weighd and measured! ( the satnding up ones or the laying down ones) I do not understand why though!
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 10:34 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• aww poor lil guy...and poor mama..my son use to like the docs but now he gets his blood drawn every 3 months so he know when were there what there gonna do and he starts crying everytime we pull into the place ( hes 3 ) in fact we will be going there again in a week. its been 3 months..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:35 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I think kids remember more than most adults give them credit for. My son's lungs began to fail him when he was 18 months old so I rush him to the hospital and they attempt to get an IV started, totally normal. Well baby boy couldn't take it. It took me, my mom and my dad along with 2 nurses to hold him down and get an IV started. Then the IV clogged at the port so it had to be taken apart and attempted 2 more times before it worked. My son cried so hard that he passed out twice. He cried to me "Momma, I be good'!. I be good Momma!" over and over, thinking this was being done to him as punishment. It was heart breaking for me to watch this and hear this, knowing we don't have a choice. Had to get the IV done and had to sit through the breathing treatments. It's always been a fight getting him to doctors and I'm guilty of bribing him with a small toy or going to McDonald's afterward. Poor little guy.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my son is 2 1/2 and he loves going to the dr office, talks about it all day happy as a clam, until we get into the examination room. Then he starts saying I dont want to go to the dr, then once hes on that table its a full on scream fest! Its the office outside the exam room he loves. Different books, new toys, colorful wall, sometimes a fun cartoon. but ya the dr is not his fave person lol
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:37 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Trust me on this one - a pediatric dentist for a few years is worth every penny.

We use a family doctor, rather than a pediatrician, and have found that family checkups go much easier.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• no my kids actually LOVE the dentist and have been going since age 2. They hate shots of course but are fine at the doc but if its a shot day then they aren't so thrilled to go! LOL But when they were younger they loved the doc all days till age 4 when they realized that shots do hurt! LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Not really. My older kids go so infrequently that it barely registers on their radar. Of course, mention shots or bring out needles and they all get panic attacks. My oldest is one of the worst about it.
    My 3yo, though, complete spazzed out at her last check up. Her brother and sisters had her all paranoid about the doctors and she had a fit as soon as we were taken back to the room. She screamed almost the entire time and I had to hold her down for the doctor to do anything and especially for the shots. It was all put in her head by her siblings because the last time she had been to the doctor she was 18 months so she sure didn't remember ever getting shots. I was annoyed.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my son just doesn't like the dentist but loves his doctor...if she seems us in town she picks him up and hugs him like he is her child. We love her.
    Missy_Dye

Answer by Missy_Dye at 1:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2009