Any moms of twin kindergartners out there??(Or moms who've had twins Kindergartners)

I'm nervous about my boys starting school. We were going to seperate them, however we live in a school district that is year round, as such my boys would have been on two separate track breaks if we split them up. I'm really concerned about our younger twin doing well(which may be an unnecessary worry) because our younger twin(peter) is more introverted and unsure of himself on so many levels. His older twin(john) has this laid back, go with the flow kind of spirit about him and pretty much adjusts to anything thrown his way where Peter is more sensitive.

Am I just being overly worried? Do you find yourself worrying about your twins(if they are in the same class together?

Also to moms of twins who've already been to K, did you notice anything good or bad about same room twins? We were told they will be split up next year.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 10:40 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I just want to add that I noticed too, when we do worksheets at home John John flies through his workbooks and knows what he's doing, where peter is always saying "i can't do this". So i'm hoping that doesn't affect him by making him more self-conscious because his brother "can" and he thinks he "can't".
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You have two individuals, not a "set". Treat them as such.

What would you do if they were merely close in age (as opposed to sharing a birth date)? Would you be this concerned?

As individuals, they shouldn't be expected to do things the same. They shouldn't be expected to behave the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Well, I went to school with plenty of sets of twins and I never noticed anything bad about them being in the same class. Eventually, you will see this, that they will grow to be their own person, they may or may not start liking the same things/people. It's not something you should purposely control though...keeping them separate. I've never hear that. I know that my kids are going to be 1 grade apart, and they have very different personalities. You have to know that you can trust them to be themselves and to work through any problems that they might have. I think that you are creating issues that aren't even there yet, if they will be there ever. Your kids aren't going to be the same IQ level, you can't always protect them from that. Your job is to be the mom that stands proudly behind each of them and pushes them and supports who they are, as individuals. Let them find that out for themselves. You can't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• me being a twin myself I think it is a good idea to spit them up in school. It lets them find who they are. plus I seen that with twins who are togather in the same class tend not to make many friends they are often found playing with only eachother. your younger twin might be unsure at first but he will come around. just let them know where eachothers class is, and if they do let them know they will see eachother at lunch or play. I hope this helps
    mom2eric

Answer by mom2eric at 4:43 AM on Aug. 19, 2009