What happens if I don;t breastfeed?

I have made up my mind, so i dont need anyone to try to tell me if breast of bottle feeding is better for the baby, he is my son, and I will make the decisions I want to...BUT I am jsut wondering, if I don;t breastfeed, so I still need a nursing bra?or to pump, or what? does it jsut dry up and go away?lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You're going to be miserable for a little while as your boobs swell up to "stripper boobs" and get hard as rocks. You won't need a nursing bra, but nursing pads as you'll be leaking everywhere for a while. That's about it. The quickest way to dry up is to bind your breasts as tight as you can.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Don't do anything at all. If you want to bottle feed you definitely don't need to pump. That only makes more milk. Two or three days after delivery your milk will come in. It can be very painful but when your breasts swell put cold wash rags on them. You might even use an Ace bandage to bind them. And whatever you do, DON'T get warm water on them in the shower or bath. I did that accident and it was so painful and they were rock hard for hours.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Your milk will come in and dry up of you just leave it alone. Get ready for some serious soreness (this happens to women who BF too, just later on when they stop nursing). You can take tylenol or a hot shower to ease the pain. It will last a few days. The warm shower will cause some of the milk to express which should relieve some of the pressure.

You won't need any nursing bras because the only difference is that they open up to expose your breast for nursing. You may want a box of nursing pads to absorb any leaking and to help comfort any soreness in the nipple. I preferred the Johnson's brand because they were softest and most absorbent (also less expensive!).

I breast fed, but am not a jerk when women don't. Just love that little baby and all will be great! Congrats!!!!!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:51 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• After your milk comes in you can dry them up by putting cabbage leaves in your bra. My sister did that but i looked at her weird when she asked can you buy me some cabbage to put in my bra! It worked though.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• it will dry up yes.. but you need to wrap it so that will help.. this will hurt to.. man do ur boobs hurt.. anyhoo.. i lost all my boobs, i didnt have any to began with but i lost what i had gotten.. it so sucks..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 10:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Something that I've heard helps with the pain and discomfort is putting cold cabbage leaves over your breasts, I think I remember it being something that helps you dry up too.

You may be one of the lucky ones who has very little discomfort, but many women have a horrible time drying up. Your breasts will most likely get engorged and leak milk, you might need to use nursing pads to avoid having wet spots dripping down your shirts from your breasts.

Don't express any milk, don't take a hot shower as that will make you leak, don't pump. All of those things can make you produce milk which will make it take longer to dry up.

Good Luck. :) I've nursed my kids and never had any problems when I stopped, but like the above poster... You do what's right for you. No worries.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 10:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i didnt breatfeed with either of mine.
    basically this is what i did with both and never even leaked...
    dont let warm water run over your breast or express them,
    once your milk comes in, and YOULL KNOW your boobs and HUGE&SORE
    i wore 2 sports bras and wrapped up tight with an ace bandage,
    and used pea bags.
    within 24 hours the swelling and soreness goes down.
    and you will start to dry up.
    but still try not to let warm water and express them for a couple weeks until you
    are completely dried up.

it took mine about 2 weeks to be completley normal again,
    and the milk came in about 4 days after the baby was born.
    GOOD LUCK!
    amberstevens

Answer by amberstevens at 11:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Wow.. I never knew not breastfeeding was so painful... Guess its another reason im glad I chose to bf... no offence to OP.. I just didnt know this
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• They used to give you a pill or a shot at the hospital that would stop your milk coming in if you didn't want to breastfeed, but they don't do that anymore. So your milk will come in anyway, and you will be miserable. The engorgement is awful, but if you do anything about it, like pumping, it will take longer to go away. I've heard that putting cabbage leaves in your bra helps dry you up, and cold compresses will help and make you feel better, but don't do warm compresses, because that stimulates milk production. And tight sports bras will help dry you up, but it also raises the risk for clogged ducts and infections, which hurt even worse than engorgement. You don't need nursing bras if you're not nursing, those are for easy access more than anything. And it will take a few weeks to dry up completely. Have some nursing pads handy in case you leak.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:44 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• From my time weaning, I can tell you that it might be easier to BF for a week just so your baby takes away some of the pain from the swelling. Just enough so your boobs don't feel like they are going to explode.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2009