when can a child start to use crayons/markers?

my son is almost 9 months, and hes a big boy. when we go out to eat they always give him crayons and we try to show him what to do but he just eats them lol. what age do they start to use them. or should i already be working with him at home on things like that?

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 10:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started giving my daughter crayons at about 10 months but all she was interested in was throwimg the crayons. But the sooner they can hold onto things the better it is. They can only learn through practice so you can start any time you want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• wow 9m.. dang mama.. good job, heck jb is 21m and i dont give him anything.. he writes all over himself, the table, walls, you name it.. i say just dont leave his side and roll with it..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 10:54 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my 16mos old uses crayons all the time. I start them early but she also has a big brother and sister. I don't think my oldest started as soon as his sisters...LOL But Deja writes alot and has good motor skills for her age. She started around 9-10mos
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• There are some cool options made by Crayola that i used with my sons at around 9mo. They are shaped like little people but color from the botton. They fit perfrectly in the palm of little ones hands and are easy to use. They even make ones your little one can use in the bathtub to color--although i have not tried those ones out yet.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2009