alcohol and breastfeeding

I am not a big drinker and haven't had a drop in over a year, but I would like to have a beer now and then. How long do you have to avoid breastfeeding or pumping and dumping after drinking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just dont drink, what you drink gets passed onto your baby. Is it really that important to have a drink if you havent had one in over a year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Well, to be totally honest with you.....a beer or two is actually good for your breastmilk production. When my mother felt as if her milk was running low, she would drink a beer & POOF, her milk would come by the bucket full.

Also, Alcohol does pass freely into breastmilk, though in small amounts and in short duration. Alcohol is considered compatible with breastfeeding by the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs and Chemicals and Human Milk. So, go for it! Your baby will be fine!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:49 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• here's some info i copied for ya

Alcohol will leave the body as it is metabolized. Because there is little storage space in the breast, most of the breastmilk is made from the blood as it is called for by the baby. Therefore the level of alcohol in the breastmilk is more closely related to the level of alcohol in the blood at the time the breastfeeding is occurring, rather than the level of alcohol the mother consumed overall.

Since milk production slows during the time between feedings, alcohol will not be stored in the breastmilk and passed to the baby at a later feeding if that feeding occurs when the blood alcohol level is down.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If you to a baby store they sell strips to test your breast milk for alcohol but I think it is an hour wait per drink if you can't find the strips do two hours just to be safe babies r us is were I got my strips
    Draydensmom7708

Answer by Draydensmom7708 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Why, if one breastfeeds to do what's best for the baby, would one then risk alcohol getting to the baby by drinking?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If you're safe to drive, you're safe to nurse.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Anon 11:43
    Obviously she wants what's best for her baby and that's why she is asking this question. She's an adult, she can drink. Get over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If I'm going to have a drink, I have it right after I breastfeed my baby - that way by the time he's ready to eat again, even when he was little it had been a couple hours.

Answer by missanc at 1:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Check out this link it gives good accurate information.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/alcohol.html
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• 1st of all I asked this question because I have got conflicting answers from different web sites. I thought the purpose of this website was to help other moms. I have never been a big drinker, like I stated, I just want to have a few beers now and then. I want what is best for my baby, I dont want anything to harm her. Those of you who are supportive I am very appreciative. Those of you who wish to remain annonymous, and feel the need to be rude, shame on YOU!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009