Why did no one ever say? (reliving my c-section)

I was just thinking about my c-section and how not fun it was. I didn't intend on having a c-section but my little fella wasn't doing good. I was thinking about what no one ever said about a c-section. I was wondering if you knew before you went or if anyone told you.

Did anyone tell you about displaced gas? That was the WORST for me. I stayed up almost in tears because of it. I had never, ever heard of it until then.

Did anyone tell you that you couldn't leave the hospital until you farted? That was the most awkward when you had company and the nurse would ask you in front of everyone if you had passed gas yet.

Did anyone tell you, you would have to wear those pressure cuffs on your legs that squeezed the sh*t out of you?

Those are the three things I can think of right now that were a shock to me. What about you?

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 10:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The worse part for me was being forced to poop and then not flush so that the nurse could come make sure that I did it. Gross, I don't want anyone viewing my poop- even I don't like to look at it. And what kind of person wold lie about having taken a dump?
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 11:06 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• NOOOO!! I had never heard about the awful gas pain. To me, that was worse than the actual incision. I also have never heard of the pressure cuffs. I also was never told that the nurses would NOT let you sleep afterward. I had my c-section after 23 hours of active labor and I was EXHAUSTED................I never got more than 2 hours of sleep at a time in the hospital. My next c-section (I will always have them now--prominant sacrum) I will tell them to LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE. If they need to check me, then check me..........no need to wake me for that.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• What is displaced gas?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I heard a lot about csections and did not want one. I was high risk with very high blood pressure. Most women in my condition would of had a c section. I delivered vaginally. I had an epidural which kept my pain down and my bp came down a bit. I was up and around not long after delivery and did not have to worry about recovering from surgery. I feel for those that do need them. I don't understand those who have them electively. Three women in the maternity floor were bragging about them. They get them so their hips won't spread. Seemed pretty stupid to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i had c section
    i had no gas after at all?
    i thought i would have to poop before being released from hospital, they said no i left before poop
    i had no leg restraints?? but i was numb from chest down with curtain, so who knows what they did down there
    mine was scheduled from 15 weeks, with a slight possible that placenta would move as i grew but doubtful and it did not so c section one month before due date
    c section not bad at all, i was scared she would not be big or developed enough but she was over 6 pds and lungs were totally fine

maybe mine different because it was scheduled for medical reasons it was month early
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It sounds like part of your problem was the nurses being idiots. My nurses never asked me about passing gas or pooping in front of others. They would always either ask my guests to leave the room or they would come back a little later. The parts that shocked me was that they wouldn't let me have my son in my room, and I wanted him with me. I didn't trust them. And I got no, and I mean NO, sleep. I couldn't sleep. They even gave me a sleeping pill, and I couldn't do it. Then, the dr ripped off the pressure bandage they put over the incision, and ripped off some of the skin in the crease between the leg and the pubic area, that hurt like hell. And the catheter. I knew I'd need one, but I didn't know I'd have to keep it in and stay in bed for the first 24 hrs. That drove me nuts.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:10 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Anon displaced gas is from when they open you up. It puts air in your abdominal cavity and the air "displaces" into your joints. So basically your arm, leg, finger, shoulders, etc have to fart lol
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 11:14 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I never had any of those issues. My son was emergency c-section after I had already gone into labor because the umbilical cord was around his neck and his heartrate kept dropping drastically. I had the epidural, he was born less than an hour later, I was in a private room just a short time later. Family was coming in and out, the baby was in there with us most of the time except at night they kept him so I could rest. They came in at times when noone but me and my hubby were in the room to ask about pooping/gas. I did have to poop before I could go home, but that's just part of it, they want to make sure your intestines and all are working well before they send you home and then you have issues or something. I never heard of the pressure cuffs? I went on to have 2 VBAC births, but as far as my c-section experience it went quite well.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:17 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• oh yeah
    the worst for my c section was before surgery they put in catheter wrong, it was doubled over inside me, it hurt like hell and since i never had one before i did not know it was not suppose to feel like that, a 2nd nurse checked and redid it, oh my God the difference!!

but i had no hospital person check or even ask about my gas or poo
    i had no issue with this, stitches were fine, hurt to move but that is normal and yes the nurses had my baby at night too (so I could sleep-right!) brought her to me when she needed feeding
    nurses did not want me to try to get out of bed to get her, but 2nd night i asked for her to be in room and i promised to ring them when i wanted to get her, so i would not rip stitches i guess, 2nd night, i did not hardly put her back in crib

back to gas and poo, was my nurseing staff suppose to check me for gas???
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I had worse gas pain before my section LOL during the pregnancy.

I knew a bit because my mom and sisters all had sections too but not about all the saline(wasnt that what it was, I forget) they put into you beforehand...I think that annoyed me most of all.

Overall, my sections werent bad. Going potty afterwards was hard after my first c/section but then I learned the trick and didnt have an issue with my last two LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 18, 2009