How to get rid of fleas on cat and in home?

Not an epidemic yet, but I need some ideas. My cat doesn't even go outside, but he has fleas and my hubby got a bite last night in living room. I need help. How do you get rid of them?

driftwood

Asked by driftwood at 11:03 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• The first thing you do is vacuum everywhere you can reach and places you never thought you needed to vacuum. Then get that stuff out of the house, empty the vacuum immediately. Any bedding your cat sleeps on needs to be washed in hot water, add bleach if it won't hurt the fabric. You need to treat the cat as well as the environment. Spot-on flea treatment drops work best but research online before you chose one, and watch cat afterward for reactions. There are also organic treatments. If you want something quick, give a bath in dial liquid soap. Treat the rug and furniture with a fleaspray, can also use borax powder. Idea is to dehydrate fleas. You should repeat in 2 weeks even if product says good longer. Vacuum daily if possible. For people, eat garlic. Fleas dislike taste. Mosquitos may leave you alone also.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 2:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• After all the prev post, you can also place a lamp (like a clip on desk lamp) facing down toward a 9x11 baking pan w/ 1/2 in of water in it. Place it near the heaviest infestation area or pet bedding. This attracts fleas but they get stuck in the water..... they can't swim. Just empty water into toilet daily until you don't have a flea problem.
    Also make sure to double bag vacuum trash so fleas don't escape.
    GotteAClue

Answer by GotteAClue at 6:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2009