Is this right IYO?

CNN) -- Two Florida school administrators face contempt charges and possible prison time for saying a prayer at a school luncheon.

link will be added in a response

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The lawyer for the principal says there no kids there and this was after hours.The ACLU guy says there were kids there serving lunch.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/17/Florida.school.prayer/index.html?iref=newssearch

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Without even having the link - I will already say, No, this is not right. But this is what progressive America is coming to.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:16 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• IMO, no it is not right. The luncheon was really for adults. From what I have heard/read, the students who were there were culinary students who prepared and served the food. If someone in attendance of the get together had been spouting off anti-Christian (or anti-any religious institution) remarks, I seriously doubt they would be facing jail time. Any of the adults in that meeting could have stood up and said they were uncomfortable with a prayer, but it does not sounds like they did.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Separation of church and state. Sorry but prayer belongs in church or in your home if that is what you chose.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• anon 1118_do u really think anyone against it would have stood up and said something if they were offended? It wouldn't happen......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I agree - separation of church and state. However I don't think they should be facing jail time. Maybe a fine or something? And trust me - if it was a wiccan offering a wiccan prayer the whole school would have been up in arms to protest it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Get ready Christians next we will be arrested in the streets for saying a prayer in public you know don't want to offend anyone or make any impressions on children around.Bumpy ride don't doubt it because it is coming.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I think the charges are a bit much but they shouldnt have been prayer done UNLESS everyone in that room was ok with it then Id say thats ok.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Was prayer compulsory? Did the teachers force every student to recite a prayer? If so, then they overstepped their bounds. If not, no harm was done and nothing should have happened.

The only cause for arrest would have been if they threatened students with bodily harm if they did not participate in a prayer. I doubt that happened.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• , or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Aug. 18, 2009