Question for Mexicans

My dd has a Mexican friend (yes, we know Hispanic is the politically correct term, but this question is directed at one nationality in particular, not all Hispanic countries) and they do sleepovers often. My question is about food. For dinner once they had bacon and eggs. Not so strange to me, we do that sometimes. However, every time she has breakfast there, it's always what I would consider non-traditional things. One morning it was tacos and refried beans (homemade authentic, not the yuckie canned ones), one morning spaghetti, and this morning it was fish sticks and chicken. Is this a cultural thing or is this family just unconventional in what they eat for breakfast?

Not saying this is a bad thing AT ALL, just wondering if it's cultural. My daughter loves having breakfast there because it's always so different.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Honestly speaking I am not too familiar with that but I do know that before u leave the house to go face the real world, which in this country is usually breakfast time, u should have the heaviest meal of the day. It fuels you for the upcoming tasks and better prepares you for your encountering endeavors. It' not only when our children are going to be tested in school that they should have good sleep, excellent breakfasts and perfect settings cuz life tests us everyday and we need to be prepared at home by our loved ones.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 1:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• unconventional in what they eat for breakfast
    mama3navvet

Answer by mama3navvet at 11:21 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Never heard of such a thing breakfast for dinner we do that in my house sometimes. But fish sticks, taco's ect.. not for breakfast I have done pizza for breakfast but not since I have had children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• What we eat for breakfast has become our culture. Most countries view breakfast as any kind of food. But when Americans think of breakfast, they think eggs, waffles, hashbrowns, french toase, pancakes, sausage. Most other countries just eat whatever in the morning, what is the big deal anyway? I don't care for mosr breakfast foods, I eat a turkey sandwitch every morning for breakfast.

I once had a russian girl living in my home, she was finishing art school. She was the same way, breakfast to her was regular food that most people would eat at lunch or dinner. Food is food, as long as it " breaks your fast" in the morning, then all should be good.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:34 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I know we don't eat what ppl call "normal" breakfast [cereal, bacon,eggs, pancakes, ect.] there are times my family eat eggs bacon and beans but never tacos.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Samurai....

I believe I said that there was nothing wrong with it and I was curious. Are you just trying to be catty and start a fight.

Jeez, you can't ask a simple question without someone deciding to be an ass. Also, 3rd world countries that don't have much food will eat whatever they have on hand. Most industrialized countries DO have specific things they eat for breakfast. In many cases it's bread and pastries and eggs and possibly a meat. There, you learned something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Hehehe, Canadians eat beans with breakfast. We are also a "whatever you find" for breakfast family as well and some times have "breakfast for dinner". I don't think it is a cultural thing exactly.. We're just strange ;oP
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:44 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I don't think Samurai was being catty. I think what's the big deal anyway was rhetorical.

anyway....in my family we sometimes eat other foods for breakfast, like dinner or lunch food. I don't think it's cultural, I think it just depends on the family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I think it is just them. I would puke if I ate stuff like that for breakfast. The "weirdest' thing I can do is a tortilla with turkey, veggies, cheese, and ranch and it took me a long time to be able to eat that at breakfast.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 1:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Well I'm half mexican but only by blood lol. I'm as American as it gets but sometimes in the morning I'm not the in mood for "breakfast foods". I'll eat whatever I'm in the mood for no matter what time it is. I've had my share of 9am chicken nuggets before lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009