Original sin in children...?

(According to Christian belief) if children are born with original sin from Adam and Eve...and part of that is realizing, and being ashamed of, being naked...then why do children have to be TAUGHT to be ashamed of being naked? Obviously they aren't until they reach an age that their parents start forbidding it.

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Adam and Eve were created to be naked with each other as husband and wife. I personally don't think they tried to hide their nudity from each other, but they were trying to hide their shame. I think the reason why we wear clothes now is not because our bodies are "bad" but because there is now sin in the world that perverts what God created for good. It is not a sin to see a naked person. But we cover up because people can pervert and dishonor our bodies, becasue of sin.

That is why it is okay for my dd to be naked here or for her to see me naked -- we don't pervert or dishonor our bodies (same for your marriage. But if I went to the store nude, I would be embarassed (no pun intended) because people would dishonor and pervert my body in their minds. Even Noah was dishonored by his grown son, who laughed and treated his dad's naked body as a joke.

Basically if there was no sin, there would be no point in clothing.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It seems to me this isn't natural. Kids don't mind being naked unless their parents freak out about it. Some adults, if they are raised in certain situations, aren't ashamed of being naked either...otherwise there wouldn't be nude beaches and people who are willing to pose nude for photos. So it seems to me like a learned behavior...only problem is, the guilt, once it's put there, is so deeply ingrained that many can't get over it, even if they KNOW it's ridiculous. This is why I think it SEEMS like the modesty is natural...but actually it is just learned.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I agree. It's like the whole breast feeding issue. Some people have a problem seeing whole breasts with babies nursing, but in other countries, this is natural. We've been taught it's shamefull to expose your breasts even when feeding your child.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:36 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If it weren't for the "original sin" we would have no need for "modesty". It's all just more doublespeak from the bible is girly. ;o)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i dont believe in original sin.

i also dont agree that we should teach our children to be ashamed of their bodies, just that in public we need to cover up b/c thats what society expects of us. i think modesty is important in public to keep perverts from seeing more than they should.

maybe the 2 are tied together :)
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:45 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• "maybe the 2 are tied together :) "

I do think its a possibility that if we all walked around naked (weather permitting), the opposite sex would be so used to it, that it wouldn't be such an issue (although I'm sure they'd be happy when summer arrives LOL).
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• "maybe the 2 are tied together :) "

i meant maybe the fact that i think we shouldnt be taught to be ashamed of our bodies is tied to the fact that i dont believe in original sin.

but yeah, if we were always naked it would remove the social taboos & perversion. but im really glad we dont walk around naked...theres a lotta ppl (including myself) that i dont want to see naked haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yeah, I started to answer, but it just didn't make any freaking sense. I'll be interested in how the apologists answer this.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• "I do think its a possibility that if we all walked around naked (weather permitting), the opposite sex would be so used to it, that it wouldn't be such an issue (although I'm sure they'd be happy when summer arrives LOL)."

That is like saying that the more a guy looks at porn, the less likely he is to masturbate. LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• People tend to forget that there are more ugly people than pretty people. If everyone walked around naked, it would be 10 big, fat hairy guys for every cute one, and the same goes for women. Kids who are raised around nudity don't grow up to be superpervs, just not to care that much about it, because there are very few supermodels at nudist camps and there is absolutely no airbrushing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2009