my 2 1/2 year old refuses to put his pjs on at night and won't go to bed what can I do to minimalize the argueing

mustangnancy

Asked by mustangnancy at 11:36 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• a few hours before if at home
    change them into top and sweat bottoms
    close enough to pj's
    maybe they will not fight you if they do not associate with bed time
    ??
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Give up the fight with the pjs - if he wants to sleep nude - heck let him. as far as getting him to go to bed - good luck - I used to have to organize my sons "hard" play time in the evening - to tire him out - to keep from having to fight with him.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:45 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i dont know if this will help but you could let him chose the pjs and make it fun for him. or if you want to make a "good boy chart" we did that with our daughter. for you use things like when he goes to bed without fighting he gets to chose a sticker to put on it ect. and after so many he gets this prize you know? for more detail just ask.
    or give him a bath before bedtime and then when he gets out its jammies he puts on?
    will any of these help?
    AIMIE489

Answer by AIMIE489 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Like the other mom said make a good boy chart, with stickers for every night he does good. And after a week he gets a special treat. I did this with my kids for all different things and it works. And let him go to the store with you and maybe pick out some special PJs just for the start of his big boy chart. Let him know its the start of something really cool. Start wind down time well ahead of when you want him to go to bed and start with a bath and then snuggling in with a book or something.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Let him choose his PJs and get a bedtime routine going. Same time every night and same routine. Also maybe a timer would hep, give him 2 min. to get dressed and make it a race. Same with the rest of it. Lots and lots of praise when he accomplishes each part of the routine.

My 4 year olds routine is about 7:45 she brushes her teeth, gets changed into pjs, hubby sings 2 songs and reads her a book. She plays then is allowed to play quickly till she is ready to sleep. Then about 8:30 she calls me up and I scratch her back until she tells me she is done(5-10 min.). THen she is to stay in bed, the light gets turned off she goes to sleep shortly after.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• get him to calm down at least an hour before actually getting in the bed. they get so caught up in playing that they dont want to just quit and go to bed. DS loves thomas trains so we have the ones he can play with in his room and then some squeezy engines in the bath. we even watch two small thomas episodes before bed.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• with my daughter I just put her pj's on wether she likes it or not and she has a tv in her room so if she doesn't want to go to bed but I do, i put her in her crib and I turn cartoons on for her and I just let her be and she finally falls asleep on her own
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Just put the child in his and her room put them to bed tell them its bed time and shut the door a little and check on him every now and then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I don't think it makes a difference what he sleeps in. He needs a bed time routine. A small snack, brush teeth, read a story and then to bed. Any routine is fine as long as it's a routine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009