Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year?

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=10933571

How do you feel about this?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:40 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It has no place in public schools. They are already innundated with trying to teach the core curriculum as it is and barely have time for that, not to mention that in my opinion the public school is a place for learning not religion. There are just too many kids of too many beliefs to teach a single one. If I want my child to learn about religion, it will be from me or someone else that I deem appropriate, not the state dictating to me that it is suddenly required by law! I'm in Texas and this may effect us... I will look into this more closely.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Well, I live in Texas, in East Texas, actually,not far from where this story came from. In fact, I watch KLTV at work, mainly cause that's what they have on, not by choice. I understood it to not be required in the sense you are thinking, but I do think they are going to teach more on it. I didn't really go through the whole link, when I saw who it was by, I knew it wouldn't tell both sides of the story. At any rate, I personally have no problem with it,but you probably already knew that would be my answer. But, I have no problem with the parents who don't want it taught, either. It's their choice,not mine.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• From what I read this is literature of the bible. I took a history of the bible before. I taught me what books were included, what books were on the table to be including and which books did not make the final cut. Knowledge is power and I have no problem with children learning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Who am I in the state of GA to tell people in the state of Texas what they can and can not do. I say let those involved deal with it. Even as a Christian, I am not sure that I would want some one in the public school system to be teaching my child the Bible, that is my job. But if others do not have a problem with it, then so be it.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Hmmm....i'm not really sure what I think of this and I'm Pagan. This social studies teacher claims it's to show how the bible has swayed government decisions...at least that's how I interpreted what he said here:

"it is just to appreciate the profound impact that it has had on our history and on our government."

If that's the case, then it doesn't really sound like a Christian based cirriculum, but rather an open view of how the government/history is influenced by the bible's teachings.  It opens the door for students to debate whether or not the bible is the main focus of laws passed or not passed and other discussions that branch out from that topic.  Depends on whether the kids are allowed to openly share their views or whether they are forced to "think" one way only.

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I think alot of the rights of the states lost need to be given back.You know we are SUPPOSED to be a Republic NOT democracy anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I just recently heard about this, so I looked into it finding some recent information regarding it.

"A new law soon will require all Texas public school districts to offer a Bible-as-literature course if 15 or more students express interest. State legislators approved new guidelines to teach--not preach--the Bible and how it has influenced literature, history, art, and culture. The Bible-based curriculum will be offered to students as elective courses." Source

With it being offered as an elective, I'm less bothered by it. However, I think the legislation should have made a World Religions class mandatory if 15 or more students showed interest, that way no religion would be "favored" over another.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I am on the fence about this. It is true a lot of modern history and art was based on the bible, and for kids to understand some of these things they need to understand how it all ties in. I worry though that it could start off with good intentions, but go really wrong. I would be slightly worried about it going off into a preaching direction.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I think it will be fine (other than the 75,000 dollars to implement it, LOL). It is really just a basic history of a very important book and how it has influenced history, gov't, and probably literature. And they have developed standards for instruction and teacher training, to protect the students from proselytizing. "Many protections were put in the law to ensure that the instruction would be 'objective, not from a particular point of view, and would neither promote nor disparage any religion.'"

Here in CA, the state mandates us to teach about different religious texts (including the Bible) as they relate to history and literature. I think it is good, if we left out this instruction it would be censorship, and we would actually be re-writing history to be politically correct. I agree with Cinder, it does open the door for a great discussion with the students!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would be slightly worried about it going off into a preaching direction.

I assure you, the ACLU will be all over this and if one person even thinks of muttering God is great they will be in court quicker than you can say bible study
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 12:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2009