Question for moms of daughters playing High School sports

Does anyone other than family members turn out for the games? My daughter plays soccer for her school team, and I've noticed that the only people who attend are family members of the players. My daughter is an awesome player and has worked very hard, but she (and I) are frustrated that she doesn't get to show off her skills to anyone! That may sound shallow, she loves playing and obviously that is enough reason to play, it's just a little annoying that there isn't more of a turnout. It also bugs her that her best friend is a cheerleader and gets to show off all her skills to the entire school through pep rallies and games. Yet, very few people have seen her on the soccer field. She actually told me that if she could do it over again, she would have gone into cheer!! (ugh!) I'm just curious if this is just her particular school or if girls sports have low turnout everywhere.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• my daughter was also in sports with the guys. She was proud how well she did and did not need other people to tell how good she was.
    You need to teach your daughter to be proud of her good work and does not need other people to tell her how good she is. Her desire to want other people to see how great she is may get to do things that are stupid.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• you must live down south where cheerleading is big...i live up north and at the soccer games everyone turns out and they just laugh at you if you say your a cheerleader.my older was cheer capt in high school. now my youngest is cheering.no reconition at all. it isnt even considered a sport.my youngest doesnt like competitive sports though.she plays tennis and swims.everyone plays soccer.the boys in my town all play football. because they figure if you cheer that means you cant do a sport.which means you dont rate. my daughters friend does soccer and cheerleading.she is no good at soccer but im not going to say anything...she does it so the parents can say ya my daughter plays soccer...stupid...
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Soccer is not a "major" sport in most towns so you aren't going to draw the crowd you typically would for a Friday night football game. It sucks, because I know she works just as hard as any other athlete in her school. My daughter played high school basketball and because our town had a history of really good girl's basketball teams they did draw a big crowd. My son, however, plays baseball and there are games that don't draw 25 people.

What I hate is the way our current school makes a HUGE deal over football with pep rallies, tailgate parties, send-offs, etc. and our football team is HORRIBLE. They just don't treat all the sports the same.

Tell her to keep her head up and play for the love of the game.

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 11:58 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• im not a mom of a daughter who plays high school sports but i just recently did graduate high school.in my school and other schools it really depends on what sport it is.basketball is very popular in school,softball,and football.other than that no one really ever cared for the other sports.they had bowling,baseball,and some other sports but no1 really acknowledged them.sad i know.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 12:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I am so surprised to hear this! My daughter is not "sporty", though is still hoping for competive shoppin. Many of her friends are. She is in a 6 year high school program, that supports all sports at all levels; they even had a pep rally for the 7th/8th grade girls softball team.

I suspect that the issue is a lack of transportation. We live in a big city, so getting home without a car is never a problem.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My son played h.s. soccer. The only people who came to watch were the girls soccer team players who were crushing on them. That's the way it is. The sports that bring in the money get the glory. In most cases that's football. Sometimes basketball or baseball, rarely a girls' sport. If her team wins a state championship, you have a chance of having the administration make announcements and talk it up the following year, but it'll never be similar to the big sport of your school.

Our school is trying something new this year... the first Fri of classes there will be an all team scrimmage after school. EVERY fall sport team will have mini games from 4-7pm in lieu of a pep rally. Maybe suggesting this would be a positive means of bringing up your concern to your school.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 11:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• my daughter is only 2 but i just graduated about 3 years ago and played tennis, i cheered, and ran track. I can say in four years of high school i have only been to about 3 soccer games just girls ( to watch my best friend) but it's not just your school, I live in a small town that puts the football team before everything. only family showed up to tennis and track meets and even when both boys and girls basketball won regionals the football team who was not all that good that year still had a bigger turn out. Sorry i know it sucks but that's just the way some towns are and as far as the cheering we had a comp. team and only family showed up to watch us there so i was just for the football team on friday nights
    miss.shawna07

Answer by miss.shawna07 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Like others have said, it's not that it's a girls team, it's that it's any other sport than Football. I'm sure the baseball, lacrosse, field hockey, and volleyball teams are having just as bad of a turnout.
    It may be just parents watching now, but you never know if a college scout will be around to see one of those games. Tell her to keep playing because she loves the game. My cousin just got a scholarship for cross country (talk about a sport that no one but the parents ever watch!).
    quorleeba

Answer by quorleeba at 1:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• There is a high turn out at our school for basketball, football, and volleyball, but soccer NO ONE comes. My dtr plays soccer and volleyball (till this yr) she has commented to me about the lack of interest in soccer but likes the sport enough that she plays for the fun it and the "bonding" with her team mates.
    sherlee

Answer by sherlee at 1:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I did HS gymnastics. No one ever came except our parents. The big sports were - football, boys basketball and I think that's it. I was also a cheerleader for football and basketball.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009