Is it your business and why?

If a parent will not allow a child to be a particular religion in their house, or disowns a child for acting in ways against their religion is it your business to repair the family? If so who appointed your the family fix it?

If I decide I will not allow my children to be Catholic in my home, is it really anyone's business unless I invite them into my home to help us mend the relationship? We are in America, dont we have the right to make our choices without others stepping in to change our mind?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• teaching your child your religion is NOT the same as physical abuse quit being a drama queen
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No, no one has the right to interfere with your family....it's just really sad that you'd disown a child for any reason, especially religion. People are going to try to change your mind for the sake of your child. How is it going to help the child "find the right path" if you disown them? All that does is scar them mentally and possibly cause them to end up with WORSE habits than just "wrong" beliefs.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• so long as no one is getting abused its none of my business. i may think its sad, but thats my right.

now if i were your close friend & saw how your family was "broken", i would say something, but i wouldnt assume it was my job.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If it is a person who cares for you and your family and doesn't like the fact that you would disown your own child because you don't like their religion, then I can understand them wanting to step in. Yes this is America, but really, disowning your own child over something like that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• First, let me make it clear I have not nor will I EVER disown my child. I was asking as a what if type of question.

I do agree with both posters it is not anyone's business. It is sad and I would pray for the family. If I was a close friend I would bring up the topic but as soon as I was told to stay out of it I would do just that.

I would have no problem with my child being Catholic, mostly because I baptised her in the Catholic church when she was two weeks old. I was just placing a scenario.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• "Yes this is America, but really, disowning your own child over something like that? "

Make it for any reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No, it is nobody's place to step in, but just like you have the right to make those choices, everyone else has a right to have an opinion about it & people who care about the family might try to help out of their concern for them. Personally, if someone I cared about was in a situation like that I would probably give my opinion & perhaps make an occasional suggestion of how they might like to resolve the conflict, but I wouldn't barge in & try to take charge or fix it for them.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Here's the thing... If you are ALOWING her to belong to and practice a religion in your home it's no one's business but her's and yours.

However, if like many parents you are FORCING religion on a child, I do feel it's my place to say something.

Why? Because I was rased in a home where religion was NOT A CHOICE but was a requirement. We were to be active members of my mothers chosen religion without question or we faced abuse in one form or another... There were even days we were forced to write out the bible for hours on end as punishment for not believeing... So, I see anyone that FORCES religion on a child as an abuser. I know they aren't all as extreme as my mother was, but I see no reason for anyone to be forced in to religion just to be loved by a parent! Neglect and Abuse come in many forms. And I do feel that neglecting to allow a child to blossom spiritually is just that. And is harmful. So yes, I speak up!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Sorry, I read the question wrong. I though you said you were allowing them to be catholic... Well, my answer works either way...

I feel very strongly about people that feel they can make those disesions for their kids. And see it as a form of abuse. Just as I do in countries where people are arrested and killed for their beliefs... This is just a smaller in-home version! And it's wrong either way!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• However, if like many parents you are FORCING religion on a child, I do feel it's my place to say something.
    *and it is my place to keep you out of my family if you persist the issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2009