What would you think?

I'm 23 years old, a sahm to my 3 year old daughter, never attended college, grad school, or the likes. My husband doesn't have a high paying job, but we budget and make ends meet. We live in an area where things aren't that expensive so we aren't too worried about falling behind. It seems to me you need to fall into a certain category to even consider staying home with your child. Like you should have went to college, then decided to be a sahm. Well I'm not even sure what I would go to college for. Right now my husband and I are in the process of getting our own place(trailer) with the help of my grandmother; she is giving us land and helping with the down payment. My daughter is in ballet/tap class and we are going one month at a time with her classes, trying to budget it in. Would you look down on me if you met me today and you learned about how I live my life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Nope, why would I??? I judge people on who they are not what is in their bank accounts. You are a married couple doing your best to make ends meet and raise your daughter. You're probably a great mom, good wife and good friend. That makes you a class act as far as I'm concerned.

Look, let me tell you I work for the School of Medicine here at University of Maryland and in the 9 yrs I've been here I've seen many women graduate in our Ph.D. program only to work for a short time and then let it all go to stay home and raise their kids. Their priority in life changed and their kids became their focus not their careers. Perhaps once your kids are older you'll pick up where you left off - if that's something you choose to do. Don't worry what other think or don't think of you. I always knew my career was going to be my family - I wanted a JOB to help me make and keep that a reality. I'm living my dream.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 12:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• no
    why would i look down on you??
    what i suppose to look down on?
    your
    age
    sahm
    college
    home

i just do not get your question?

i am sahm, went to college, husband works, we just get by, daughter not in dance class, live in home, no money from grandma, but they are passed, both cars are ten + years old, kitchen floor needs a good scrub, kids watching dr suess right now etc etc etc
    do you look down on me???
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No, I'm a sahm since 1999, when I got pergnate with my son, we live in a "low cost" area, live in a trialer and are kids want for nothing, though I do without quite often, you get use to it, my hubby works from home and like you it's month to month. it was your decision? then don't feel guilty about it, and if ppl do look down at you they deserve a snout full of dirt cause you're a better person than them...
    no bashing intended but there really is no reason for one to thing they are better than anyone else simply because of a pay increae...
    just my opinion
    amy
    leftylucy81

Answer by leftylucy81 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• IMO if I spent x-amount of years and x-amount of money in college to earn a degree I'm damn sure going to use it. I don't think anyone has a reason to look down on you, but if I were personally in your situation (which I'm not so really my opinion doesn't matter) I don't think I would be very content with life just because you're still so young and never really got a chance to experience life before you gave it away to being a SAHM living on a budget in a trailer. No offense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• (OP Here)..Anon 11:05..Reading your response made me feel like I was hit in the face with extreme force. My head is steal realing. Adding.."No offense" to the end of the message helps in no way. "Living on a budget in a trailer"....well it's a nice trailer...LOL..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Where did you get that someone needed to have gone to college to be a sahm? I'm a sahm & never went to college,honestly I've always wanted to be a wife/mother. Don't be so down on yourself,one of the greatest things you can do is raise your dd in a healthy,loving home. :)
    briannasmom2

Answer by briannasmom2 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

Well don't ask for people's opinion if you don't want their honesty. What did you want to hear? "No, you're perfect. So what you're young and live in a (nice trailer) and don't have any money, nobody will ever look down on you." Happy?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You can't worry about everyone else on the outside. If you are happy the way things are then that is fine. No, I would not look down on you if I were to meet you tomorrow. I am a 28 yr old stay at home mom. I didn't go to college. I never wanted to...i struggled as it was to get through high school so the last thing I wanted was to go to college. My husband went to college but we struggled in the beginning like so many young people do. He finally got a really good job but we still live on a budget. My daughter is in gymnastics and the class is rather pricey...I have one of her grandparents split the cost with me as her b-day gift from them. But I am happy with the way life is going...so I personally won't care what the mom next to me thought if she saw me walking down the street. Keep your head up..if you don't like the situation your in then change something about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• sahm
    has nothing to do with going to college or not
    just because a woman went to college, she is not suppose to be able to stay at home with kids

11:05 anon=this is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard on here..and that is saying a lot
    Anonymous

• (op) Anon 11:14 is this the same anon that said, "No offense"? Were you being sarcastic? Because I thought you reall meant that. This was more offensive than the other answer. No, I expected honesty. I do appreciate your answer and it's honesty. Thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2009