At what age did your child self wean from the breast?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My middle son was 8 1/2 months. My dd is 17 months and still breastfeeds, I plan on stopping at 2 years old if she doesn't self wean before then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• DD self weaned by 13 months, piece of cake, DS on the other hand is almost 2.5 and still loves it...was actually going to call the Le Leche League today for some advice, I've had enough!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My 2 year old still wants it. :) I cut her off when she turned 2.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Emi hasn't weaned at 10 months(babies don't wean before 18 months usually, and NEVER before a year. It's typically a nursing strike that moms misinterperate as weaning). I was 2.5 when my mom weaned me because she was pregnant and high risk. My little sister was about 4 I think.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I don't actually consider what happened with my son self weaning since he weaned while I was pregnant and kept telling me it tasted yucky, but he did at 18 months. My second is still going strong at 26 months and I don't plan on stopping any time soon unless she wants to.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Although it's uncommon for a child to self wean before they are a year old and usually happens between 18-24 months, SOME babies DO self wean earlier than a year. That being said if you think your baby is self weaning before 12 months it's a good idea to assume it's a nursing strike (it normally is) and seek help from an LC if you are having trouble getting baby to continue on your own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• 23 months

Answer by rkoloms at 12:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009