What age do kids go to preschool?

How do I choose one when it is time to go? I don't know anything about this so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in

• My son will be going in November when he turns 3, but thats so he can continue to recieve his therapy. I think most kids start around age 3 or 4.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• depending on where you send them to school its aroud 3 or 4. some whase to now if thire read is are they potty tried. in most schools they must be potty tried to go to preschool. are you redy for her to go? you must be ready as well to see her go to school. also is she nice to other kids when she is aroud them becuse most schools do not tolerat meanns.
    mykids_mylove

Answer by mykids_mylove at 12:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Most send them a year before kinder so around age 4. Its not required but I personally think it helps prepare them for kinder and the class setting.

We sent my son at age 4 the year before kinder. Then his younger sister started younger at age 2. She started just 2 days a week and we primarily thought it was good to socialize her more with kids her age. Then she went last year and started a early k type program this year. I plan to send the baby the year before kinder like her brother.

You need to tour preschools and see what they offer for the price. Take your child to see if she seems comfortable in the setting. Just so you know many preschools do fill spots fast so be sure to allow enough time to search and pick one. Its best to go with places that just offer preschool verses learning centers. Learning centers tend to be higher and from my experince my son learned more at just a preschool.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My daughter started pre school when she was 3 yrs old. She went 2 days a week and loved it. I know most preschool programs wont take kids that arent potty trained. She just turned 4 in July and she is signed up for the UPK(universal pre-k) program through the local school district. It is 5 days a week for 2 hrs a day(just like half day kindergarten).
    MamasGirls4ever

Answer by MamasGirls4ever at 12:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Normally children have to be 3 years old before the preschool will take them. They have to be potty trained, etc. If the child does not have siblings or play dates then 2 years of preschool is a good choice. Most preschool are part day and only a few days a week, unless they attend Head Start or a school preschool, as most Title 1 schools do have preschool. Also, many churches have daycare/preschools. This is the type of setting my son went to when he was 4. However, he was pretty advanced and did not need as much instruction at that age. He only attended for the second half of the school year. Good luck and your child will be just fine!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Some preschools take kids as young as 2 ( I taught a 2 yr old preschool program) but most wait until 3 or 4. A preschool is different than a day care although a daycare can offer a preschool program. I know teach a 4 yr old preschool program and ours is M-Th from 8:30-11:30. We offer preschool for 3 and 4 year olds and they must be completely potty trained.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my sons all started when they were 3 and went for 2 years! :D
    threeboysmama

Answer by threeboysmama at 7:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My daughter was 4 when she started UPK. My son will be starting UPK next month. He is also 4. Well almost 5 since he missed the birthday cut off. UPK is offered threw our school district.
    Here's some things to ask/ look for when looking for a good pre k program. How many kids are in a class? How many teachers/ teachers aid per class? Are the teacher licensed threw the state? Does the staff have background checks done? Is there a nurse on the campus? What are their emergency plans? Are parents welcomed in the classroom to help out? Is the campus state inspected each year? Do they follow the state learning plans? And most of all do the students look happy while you are visting?
    I use to be a special ed teacher aid. These are some of things I ask or look for.
    Best of luck to you!
    lighthouse98

Answer by lighthouse98 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2009