Should I be offended by my stepdaughter?

Her mom is getting married to her boyfriend of 3 weeks, happy for her. My stepdaughter has no problem calling this guy dad after 3 weeks. Before you ask yes my husband is there for her everything. I have been with her dad for 2 years and I still get called by my first name. I could understand it if I treated her differently then my kids but I don't. It really hurt to the point I don't want her around me. Should I be offended?

crys630

Asked by crys630 at 12:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• No. I never called my stepmother mom. She probably doesn't like you. Harsh, but true. I hated my stepmother. I don't talk to her at all now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• How old is she?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No, my SS has always called me by my first name, fine with me, I'm not his mom and woudn't feel comfortable being called that. As for this new marriage and her new "dad", poor kid...that's just not right, IMO. How old is your stepdaughter? And how does your husband feel about her calling someone else dad?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't. Has she been told she should call you "Mom?" Her mom very well may have told her to call her soon-to-be step-dad "Dad." It also depends on the age or her closeness with him.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I consider my step mom my mother. She was the one who raised me from the time I was actually pretty young, but I never called her mom.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• She is 6 and loves everyone. Everyone is her friend no matter if she just met you or not. He is fine with her calling someone else daddy, I'm the one that isn't I don't let my kids call him daddy because they have one.
    crys630

Answer by crys630 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• How's the relationship between you and your step daughter?
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• We have a good relationship. She know I love her and always will and I want what is best for her.
    crys630

Answer by crys630 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• no, maybe she was told to do it, maybe he is an extrovert and bonded quickly with her. I'd be leary about a whirlwind romance like that. Usually men who sweep in and marry a woman quickly come in and use them, take all they have and leave them for the next victim which means sd will get hurt in the process. So don't shut the door. These con guys are well trained on getting close to the kids and making them feel "like their own" so they can hook the mom. Be nice. You will be around a lot longer than he will. She will need you no matter what she calls you

Answer by admckenzie at 12:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No don't be offended. My son stayed with my cousin and her husband for a time and began calling them mom and dad which I didn't mind because they treated him as their own son. Then he came home and I was with my SO and we have been together 5 years and he still calls him by his first name even though my SO treats him like his own son and they get along great. Maybe her mom told her to call him dad. I did ask my son why he doesn't call my husband dad and he just said "I don't know" and I didn't push it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2009