starting new school this yr, any suggestions?

i worry so much, this school is new to us in every single way possible! i worry how my 7yr old girl and 6yr son will handle this huge change, they both started Pre k and finished their 2nd grade yr at our old school, so needless to say, they where comfortable there, they knew everybody and everybody knew them. On the other had this new school is just that NEW, I dont know any parents with children attending there, so as the day gets closer i grow more and more nervous!! please if you have any suggestions, advice, etc it will be greatly appreciated.

mirtha_renteria

Asked by mirtha_renteria at 12:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in

• Get involved with the school! Volunteer, get active in the PTA, etc. Not only will you improve the quality of education, you will make new friends.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If your kids see you're worried about it then they will get worried about it. Make it a fun new experience for everyone. Get involved with the schools, they can always use the extra help. Whether you are just making copies for a teacher who needs a few spare minutes or under taking a bigger responsiblity like being the box tops coordinator every little bit helps. It will also give you a chance to get to know the teachers and some of the other parents.
    mrsnoble2004

Answer by mrsnoble2004 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I know what you mean, same for us. At least your kids have each other, my son went alone. And to make matters worst, I forgot yesterday was meet the teachers day and I had so planned on him being there. And he's in middle school. I am soooo kicking myself.
    peacegirl7216

Answer by peacegirl7216 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• For the third year in a row, I threw away my daughter's schedule; all her friend know their classes and she has to wait until we go to registration on the 24th. At least I am consistent!

Answer by rkoloms at 1:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Children adapt much better then adults do. Your children are young and will blend in just fine. Encourage them and don't be negative around them and they will do just fine!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009