How do you save money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• we dont eat out, we dont buy things for our selves unless absolutely necessary, we use space heaters instead of gas furnace, we cut cable and internet.. we only ahve cell phones no home phone... we dont go to movies or shows....

put it this way we make about $50k less than my sil and they ahve less money than us..
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Honestly I don't... We do our best to live moderately while we are in this resession... My Dh is being laid off in November, so we go to WalMart in stead of More expensive places I guess... But all in all... I don't. I just work harder to earn more when the bills come in...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Here are my favorite tips for saving at the grocery store:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

Answer by rkoloms at 12:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Well, I guess that's not true... We don't have any credit cards and pay "cash" for everything. So that saves money. I also prefer to do my shopping online so I can take advantage of extra offers and rebate programs... So, I guess that's our way of saving... We just spend smarter rather than cut what we have.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• We pay ourselves first (investments, 401k, savings and other retirement accounts), then pay bills and insurance. What is left over covers groceries and everything else. We know we only have X amount of dollars so we spend wisely. I do use my credit card for everything for the points and we pay it off every month. Never pay a penny of interest or finance charge. I have a 1k Target card from my points that will pay for everything my kids need for school and then some.

We are not well off make 108k a year. We lived this way when we made 18k years ago. We have always paid ourself first even if it was only 5 bucks. Once that money is gone it is gone and you budget the rest accordingly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Let's pretend for just a moment... You and SO or DH have every penny that you will bring in next month already. Lets say that is is 2000.00 just to make this easy. You should know how much you will bring in throughout the next month. Both of you sit down together and make a budget on paper! Stick to it and don't buy anything that is not on that paper unless you both agree and that money will come out of what you would have put into savings. 200 for groceries 50 for electric and so on. I have seen some people go as far as to put on their budget McDonald's. If it is not on the paper you can't buy it and every penny this way is accounted for. You will start saving in no time. Me and So put at least 500 a month into our own savings each this way! You can to. By the way Dave Ramsey is a great mentor in the financial department!

http://www.CalondraLynne.com
    workin4mhomemom

Answer by workin4mhomemom at 11:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Besides budgeting, we have these systems for shopping.
    Groceries- shop the perimeter, scope out flyers on line and make a list, hit the bump and dent store first, using a price book, use coupons on loss leaders, cook from scratch, eat in, grow and can our own, buy for the pantry, eat leftovers, make soup, have breakfast for supper, avoid overly processed food, pack lunches.
    Clothes-shop yard sales, thrift stores, discount stores, (like Ross's) buy underwear and socks on sale.
    Furniture- pay cash, buy used and fix up, be content, thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales and auctions, sew my own curtains and quilts.
    Cars-buy used, pay cash (great for negotiating, avoids interest, and keep insurance premiums low)
    Cleaning supplies- rags instead of paper towels, home made cleaners, purchase things on sale or at Dollar General with coupons
    Eating out, oil changes, entertainment-use coupons

Hope these help.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 2:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009