What are some quick healthy meals for a 12 month old?

My husband and I don't always eat regular, homecooked meals so we can't always feed our son whatever we're having but I want to make sure he's eating well. He won't eat those Gerber trays for toddlers so those are out of the question. Right now he eats grilled cheese, veggies, some fruits, waffles/pancakes and eggs. What are some other things I can make for him? I will not feed him chicken nuggets or hotdogs or things like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• WIth my husbands schedule we dont always get to sit down nd have meals either. I just make extra when we do and that way there is a nce healthy meal to heat up for our son when hubby wont be home in time.
    I had the same attitude about chicken nuggets and hot dogs too. But now I make my own nuggets. Just cut a chicken breast into chunks, cot them in breadcrumbs with your favorite seasonings and bake in the oven. I make large batches and freeze them. All I have to do it take a few out and reheat and he is happy!
    JSWeible

Answer by JSWeible at 4:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Ive used the Gerber Graduate meals that come in boxes. They have veggies, meat and carbs in them so all you really need is to add fruit. Be sure not to get the ones that say they are for pre-school age kids because they have pieces that require more chewing and are bigger. Hope this helps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Chicken baked in foil with vegies for no mess. Save left over meat and freeze. Whole grain bread and rolls. Microwaved sweet potato. Frozen fruits (either buy frozen or freeze canned or fresh - pineapple is my fav).
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• please, please, please set a good example for your child.

at this age, my daughter loved hummus with a mashed hardboiled egg; frozen peas, corn and blueberries; chunks of tofu, avocado and baked sweet potato, cooked beans, whole grain pasta, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

I am. This is why I'm trying to teach him to eat healthy, regular meals.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I guess annon. did not read all of the question!! My My son is 15mo. but started eatin eggs, baked beans, mashed sweet potatoes, buleberries. green beans, pretty much any veggie or fruit. He even likes tilapia, but i know some people don't give seafood to babies, but by my 3rd i knew it was safe for him. he loves mac&cheese of any kind, even the whole grain kind. Hope this helps
    team21

Answer by team21 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I do meals in the slow cooker for my son--chicken breasts with peaches and a little bit of juice, then add brown rice at the end. I also do beef stew--cubed beef, carrots, peas, potatoes and water, then mash it all up, or chicken soup with chicken, carrots, peas, water and rice. I make huge batches and freeze most of it so that he gets a variety. The slow cooker has saved me a ton of time :)

bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• We used the opportunity to start eating better ourselves.

You're not setting a good example for him by YOU not eating right. Kids learn by example, not by "do as I say, not as I do".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You're not setting a good example for him by YOU not eating right. Kids learn by example, not by "do as I say, not as I do".

Our schedule and my appetite does not allow us to eat regular meals each day. I'm teaching him the best way I can, and if you don't like it you are more than welcome to come show me how to be little ms. perfect mommy :0)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• bethany I love that idea! I don't know why I didn't think of the slow cooker :0)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2009