Silver Ravenwolf

Okay, I FINALLY broke down and bought her Solitary Witch book today. It's awesome! I'm not a "beginner" but there is even some great stuff in there for me. I have a friend that swears by that book! She's been studing for over 15 years and she recommends it for all her "newbies" as well... So, it's great for all...

But here is my question. Why are so many pagans so dead set against her works? I don't get it...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not really sure. I'm pagan and I'm not against her works at all. I find them wonderfully inspiring.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• LOOOVE HER!!! ~ But I never was one to go with the flow!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I read a few of her books several years ago. I am not deadset against her & I can see where some people would get a lot from her writings. However, for myself, I don't find them very useful. Like many modern Neopagan authors she interprets history & ancient religious texts to suit her needs, rather than in their true context. I don't see anything wrong with being inspired by something that was not, at the time, taken in the context that you are viewing it in now, but history is too important to me to be used in that way. I know some people dislike her because they think she is "just in it for the money", but all authors are out to make money, they are selling a product. I don't find her significantly less sincere in her wish to share knowledge than other nonficition authors. I just find her scholarship lacking, so other than her nice ideas of making your path your own & some nice language, I don't have much use for her books.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Silver Ravenwolf introduced me to Wicca when I was young, I picked up Teen Witch in a library and from there did more "adult" research. I didn't "hate" her work, I just didn't really like it enough to continue reading what she had to say. I am glad I discovered Teen Witch though, my years as a Pagan were absolutely beautiful.

This site gives a few reasons why she's disliked so intensely: http://wicca.timerift.net/ravenwolf.shtml

I definitely recommend Scott Cunningham's Wicca: A Guide For the Solitary Practitioner, in addition. :)
    MissMope

Answer by MissMope at 12:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I love Silver! I have three of her books "To Ride a Silver Broomstick", "To Stir a Magic Cauldron" and "To Light a Sacred Flame" all very very well-written and enjoyable books if I may say so myself.

I have learned some of the basics from her books and taken what I felt comfortable with into my own path while using information from other authors as well.(Buckland/Cunningham/Farrar) It's just a matter of personal preference....and although I don't believe you need to practice EXACTLY as silver does, I think her books offer a simpler way of learning versus the "fancy-worded, complex books" that are out there by the other authors I have mentioned. Some of their books have left me bored or hard to read(especially buckland's books...mainly the "big blue one" which was posted in another question here on CM). I guess you could say you have your serious teachers that are all "professional" and then your laid back who make it fun.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I tried reading her stuff, but it wasn't for me. I'm not dead set against her, I just personally didn't care for her writing. To me she seemed very anti-Christian and I was researching, but not exactly looking to practice. I was very turned off by some things she said. I prefer Scott Cunningham.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Honestly, after having bought a few of her books, I found that the same information had simply been repackaged and retitled. So once you buy one or two of her books, you're paying over and over again for the same info under another title.

To me as a writer who aspires to be paid someday for my work, that's offensive because she plagiarizes herself to make a buck.

As a Pagan, I find it offensive because she uses Wicca as a way to cheat people out of money (see above). We are not supposed to use our abilities to create harm. And while it may just be my opinion, I see rehashing the same information repeatedly in order to keep selling books as nearly the same as stealing from them.

If you like her work, hey - more power to you. Just be warned that you may want to review your purchases carefully to ensure that you are NOT paying 2 or 3 times to get the same information repeated.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Like many modern Neopagan authors she interprets history & ancient religious texts to suit her needs, rather than in their true context.

That is much of my issue with her (and many modern Neopagan authors). That's not to say I actively loathe her or anything. Only that if someone tells me something and then cites Ravenwolf as the source, I immediately discount it as not credible. This is especially true when it comes to commenting on practices borrowed from my faith that have been twisted so far they are only recognizable if you know the faith to begin with.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• She promotes baneful magick (Frost Wizzards?) and being dishonest. (There is a hole section in Teen Witch about how to lie to you parents about what you are really doing.

That's why THIS Pagan dislikes $ilver(dollar) Ravenwolf. (Oh yeah, she seems to be all about the dinero...)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Her ethics. She crossed a line when she encouraged teens to hide there interests from their parents to the point of advocating lieing. Most Pagans in the community won't even touch a minor as a student. The most help they usually get is, to read and study more.

Now, for me it pointless to point out that Silver is just out to make a buck and her history is atrocious....so she's just like many of the other Pagan authors. Ignorance and overbearing editors are to blame for those particular sins, but her ethics are her own. She bears the brunt of those sins. I won't recommend her works to beginners. There are too many pitfalls to avoid.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009