Did the dr give me the right advice?help still not getting sleep!!!!

Well I had my daughters 6 month scheck up today. All went very well.. I mentioned to the Dr that my child was still waking up every hour to every 2 hours throught the night to nurse. He said she should not be getting up that often or at all through the night. I was told to move her from her crib in my room and put her in her own room. Also through out the night I should not breastfeed at all, I should give her a sippy with water or a nuckie. Also he recomended to let her cry for a while to break her of the habbit no more than 15- 20 min, then pick her up and comfort her then give her the sippy, ect. Also the Dr recomended feeding her more at night (cereal or solids). She really doesn't care for eating ALOT she eats maybe half a jar or a few teaspoons.I know that it would be best to get my lil one out of my bedroom and mainly out of the bed (she is only in my bed every hour to feed then right back in her play yard thing.)

bottmommy

Asked by bottmommy at 12:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I disagree, but this is not my child. we co-slept; when my daughter woke to nurse I was able to go right back to sleep (which was a good thing because I worked full time); the first time she slept six solid hours she was almost 9 months. We moved her to her own room around 14 months, when she really slept through the night.

This falls under the category of trusting your instincts.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yes & no.

Yes - getting up every 1-2 hrs is a bit much & it's probably more of a habit/comfort thing than a hungry thing.... so I don't think letting cry a few minutes makes your a horrible mom. More food before bedtime will probably help some, too.

No - I believe nursing babies should be nursed on demand around the clock..... just make sure she's nursing 'cause she's hungry - not using you for a pacifier. Sippies at 6 mos? Yeah, some moms do it, but none of my kids (4 of them) were ready for sippies at that age. And 20 mins? I wouldn't let mine cry for that long at 6 mos of age.

My recommendation: Go with your instincts.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My doctor offered similar suggestions at 6 months as well. As much as I hated getting up every couple hours I ignored her advice and continued with what I was doing. Almost like it was over night my son started sleeping 5, then 7 and now 9 hours without eating. This all started happening around 8 months. I think each baby is different and you know what's best for her and yourself. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Any baby formula or breastfed should be fed on demand.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I was told that formula is more filling at night. So try formula in a bottle at night. But put her in her own room. And letting her cry herself to sleep is def. ok. My daughter is 18 months and after she got the hang of being in her own room and crib she is the easiest kid to put to bed. Sleeps through the night since she was 5 months old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Pretty good advice, but you can alter it to how you feel comfortable. Your lo may be waking up out of habit. Instead of going straight to breast you could try rocking her back to sleep if you're not comfortable just letting her cry. You'll be able to tell if she's really hungry, and if she is then feed her. If not just rock her until she's sleepy enough to lay down.

You could also cut back feedings slowly. Like if she's eating 4 times a night, try feeding her just 3 for a week, then 2, then 1. This will ease her into not needing any at all.

Getting her out of your room alone will help because when she wakes up she won't see you right away so she might settle back down on her own.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My breastfed baby slept through the night (8-9 hours) at 3 months. Babies are physically capable of sleeping through the night at that age, she's just waking because that's what she's used to.

Answer by missanc at 1:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Thanks for all the advice! I really couldn't;t let her cry more than 5 mins it would bother me and my husband lol. However having her in her own room really worries me because she is on the other side of my apt and I really think that is far away with or without a monitor, maybe I'm just a little over cautious! :)

bottmommy

Answer by bottmommy at 4:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2009