My 6yo niece plays morbid pretend games and I'm not sure what to do or say.

Now my almost 4yo is playing the same games. She stacks her little people in piles in the barn.. "They are dead. Those are the killed ones." And insists they can never be brought back, even by magic or doctoring. When talking it out didn't work we attempted to ignore it, now 6 months later it's progressed. My niece points out things and claims they are dead animals, talking about their rotting flesh and the smell. My toddler will now stop and point at rocks or logs in the distance and get upset, insisting they are dead animals. Even without playing with her for 3 weeks she is still playing pretend games where her dolls all die. The play ends with her laying on the floor crying because everyone is "dead" and can "never come back". My niece is returning today and since they will be living upstairs (with my mother) there is not a way to just stay away from them, and my toddler is very attached to them all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would not be happy about that either. I will be thinking of any suggestions, but for now im just feeling for you.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Try and talk with her.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 12:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Wow that is crazy. What do they let their daughter watch on tv? What do her parents say about these games she is playing. Maybe your niece needs to see a doctor!!
    tinaaly

Answer by tinaaly at 12:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Did she see something dead or did someone kill something in front of her or your niece for that matter? This would disturb me, if it doesn't get better I would find someone to talk to about it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Talk to her parents.....that's a little disturbing especially around your daughter...I agree with the above poster....what are they letting her watch...
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• what game is this? this is crazy. id talk to her parents and try and explain things to your 4 yr.not in graphic details but in a nice way. sorta. i know younger children especially are more keen on there sences and can some times see ghost. but this is beyond that. unless whats she pointing out is indeed a spirt ... but yeah talk to the rents about it.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If this effecting the kids so horribly I would sit down with the niece and your older one and tell them that they are not to play "Games" or say things like that any more in your house. It isn't appropriate and they need to play nice games from now on. Give them suggestions. If your niece doesn't like it and she proceeds to create more problems, I would say she needs to talk to someone. This isn't normal for it to be an ongoing thing like this.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• well i'm in the same boat you are kinda so if you get any good advice pass it on to me. my 2 yr old walks around saying i'm going to die and she makes her animals eat each other. she plays with dolls by suffocating them and then laughing saying baby died.

and i am a stay at home mom so for the moms who say waht is she watching....my daughter is 2 and only watches disney. mickey mouse clubhouse, little einstiens, imagination movers, disney movies. so she didn't get this from tv and we dont have morbid talks like this at home. where she got it is beyond me. but good luck. i have considered a child psychologist for my daughter but the army just says she is acting out coz of husbands upcoming deployment. but a civilian doctor should have better advice for you
    jennalms

Answer by jennalms at 7:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2009