Why is getting health insurance so difficult?

I got affordable health insurance when I started work through Price Chopper of the 4B group in Kansas City area, as a single mom. Price Chopper also gave me a great reference as I moved on into higher paying jobs. I know of many other entry (no skill) level jobs that offer health insurance.

If I could get affordable health insurance as a single mom, what is the difference between me and the others who say health insurance is difficult to get?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's not that difficult, people just want a handout as usual.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• We all can't be as perfect as you.
    Anonymous

• We all can't be as perfect as you.
    ___________________________________________

Awwww, jealous?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• OP here-

I'm far from perfect
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• As the parent of a child with a medical issue, health insurance can be next to impossible to get. My hubby was stuck at the same job for 4 years because of the "pre-existing" condition clause in most insurance policies. We even had to get special riders for life insurance for our son. I have had to fight and appeal many claims for my sons care and have had to deal with "case managers" that must be included and must approve care decisions. When Hubby did finally change employers we had a written agreement with the employer and the insurance carrier for immediate coverage for my son.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 1:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Insurance can be difficult to get for people who have had chronic illnesses or diseases like cancer in the past. Because of birth trauma, my youngest has seizures in response to something being off in her little system. Our current insurance keeps trying to find a way to label her as epileptic so they can reject her as a pre-existing condition and get out of paying for any of her hospital stays, visits to the neurologist, and prescriptions. What this means is that if our insurance changes, the new insurance can reject her too. Not fair to treat a little child like this!
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 1:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Depends on the employer.
    Depends on the state laws.
    Depends on the number of employees.
    I think your thought process is too simplistic. Some ppl have coverage offered, but their policy costs are high, again based on the mandates of their Company. Others have lousy coverage, again based on choices offered by their employer. Many have medical conditions that raise the premium and treatment costs; rendering them less than affordable.

Most in this country could not financially weather a major illness to the policy holder and family bread winner. Insurance does not cover many therapies that some ppl need to survive.

Maybe for a healthy, young mom and her kids the insurance plan looks good and affordable. Just don't get sick...... illness changes EVERYTHING.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• We had Tricare which was terrible! Getting the care our autism spectrum child needed was next to impossible. We got private insurance. I had no trouble getting a policy and there was no issue with a pre-existing condition.

I suffered with endimitriosis for years and had several surgeries. This was back when I was young and single. I never had a problem with it being a pre-existing condition when I changed employers/insurance companies. I went through at least 3 employers/companies during that time.

There was in interview on tv not to long ago with the guy that runs the healthcare for Massachusetts. He said one of the biggest problems they had was getting people to actually "buy" the policy offered. They signed up the free ones right away, but not the ones that had to pay something. Of course, it turns out MA healthcare has lots of issues, but this was a while back.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Insurance companies can't deny you b/c of pre-existing when you get insurance through your employer. They can, however, have a year waiting period to cover those conditions. Some people still cannot afford company health insurance b/c of the cost. The more employees, the cheaper the insurance. If a company doesn't have many employees, then it's expensive. Also, every insurance is different so co-pays, what they cover, how much they cover, etc. can all be different at different jobs. Some companies have great insurance, some don't. You're lucky enough to be at a company that offers good affordable insurance. Many aren't so as lucky.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Special- Sounds like you are one of those rare exceptions. Working in this system I could tell you most have not had your experience.

Working the Ins angle when you have real heath issues is a FT gig-most do not have the time or energy if they are truly sick.

Also, it's much worse when the person affected is the policy holder and bread winner.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009