What would you do if you found your kindergardner trying to walk home by themself?

Yesterday, I was a couple of minutes late maybe two to three minute. I live close to a mall so there are busy streets and intersections. As I got close to the school, I thought I seen a little boy that looked like my grandson. As I got closer, it was my grandson and I asked him what did he call himself doing his statement was."Grandma, you didn't come to pick me up" I told him that he should never ever try to walk home by himself and that he was suppose to stay at the school with his teacher. Apparently, he got away from the teacher and blended in with the other parents and their kids and crossed that street!!! Anyway, I took him by the hand and we went right back to that school and I told the principle and his teacher that I caught my grandson trying to walk home by himself. His teacher said that there was another teacher outside watching the kids and it was not her turn to be out that day. She apologize.

MOR51

Asked by MOR51 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Good for you, Grandma! You did the right thing by immediately going back to the school and calling attention tho the situation.
    As for the teacher's excuse that it was another teacher's turn to watch the kids....NO EXCUSE! It is THEIR responsibility to know which children walk, ride, or get picked-up, whether your 2-3 minutes late or an hour late.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would have been livid at the time but it sounds like an honest mistake. Thank God he was ok and you found him when you did. You did the right thing explaining to him that he needs to wait from now on and taking him back to the school to tell them what happened, hopefully they will be more vigilant and careful from now on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would have had a heart attack. You did the right thing by taking him back to the school and talking to them about it. I would also sit down with him and have a long talk about the dangers of what he did and why he should not do it again. Let him know that in case you are ever late again he should inform a teacher or the principle and that they will call you for him.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Personally, I would have been scared (if it was such a busy area...because of the traffic) and also proud that he felt confident enough in himself to attempt to walk home. Hopefully he knew the way.
    My kids started walking home from school last year. I pick them up (since the school won't release them without an adult there which I think is dumb) and then let them go. They were in 3rd, 1st and kindergarten last year.
    This year they will learn how to walk to school. But it's only 3 1/2 blocks in a residential (city) neighborhood.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• o wow...well my son would never do this because he would be fearful he would be taken! But yeah I would of talked to them as you did and often one teacher has so many kids and the end of the day is so crazy! I tell my son if he doesn't see me you wait by the main door and so far so good. he is in 1st grade now.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would have been very upset as well. My ex thought it was ok for my DD to walk alone to and from kindergarten, I never allowed it though, to many bad people and bad things that can happen!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My son did that last year he was in first grade. My DH was looking for him we thought he was kidnapped, but I had a gut feeling he went home. Well, my DH went home to check we live five minutes away and left me at the school. Low and behold he walked home let himself in the garage, closed the door and went into the basement to play his new video game. I don't remember what we did (took his game away) but everyone was looking for him we were scared to death and he never did that again.
    Deb79

Answer by Deb79 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Maybe you can show him the true dangers of cars. Run over a soccer ball or something so he can SEE that cars CAN be dangerous and why he should NEVER try crossing a street by himself until he's older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009