Am I a bad mom for not playing with my 16 month old?

He has tons of toys and we go to a lot of different places together. We cuddle and stuff but I don't really play with him. My mom is always telling me I need to play blocks with him and things like that. He's a happy baby. I just prefer to watch him play rather than playing with him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ummm, not really. You should play with him a little each day..but, if he's happy and healthy and you're not neglecting him, I don't see where it'll hurt. Moms get tired and need breaks too.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Try to find something you like playing with him. If you aren't playing with him then someone needs to be. You could hire a neighbor child to come over and play for an hour or two while you are home.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It's part of the mom job description, like hugging. You might not be a hugger but you hug your child, right ? You might not be playful but you need to play with him periodically during the day for his development.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Play can be over-rated. Every interaction with your child can be seen as play by him. Just him being around helping with chores and stuff you do can be seen as play by him, Playing is important because it is fun and helps them learn about their world. But if you two are doing things together, I think that is plenty of interaction. My daughter (3) wants me to play "family" all of the time... isn't that what we are doing right now Katherine? lol.. yeah, but I will go in her room and follow her lead for a bit. If she wasn't interested in it though, then I wouldn't try to start it up. My little one (17 months) entertains himself with his siblings and really anything else he comes across. I don't really set aside time to "play," it is all integrated into our lives some way.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 1:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You probably do play and just not realize it. Getting dressed can be a game and making funny faces, too. You don't have to be on the floor to play peek a boo or sing songs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I"m not a montessori expert, but observation of the child is key to that. Interaction when the child needs you or asks for help. So I think that by not playing and just observing you are also giving the child tools to act on their own. As long as you're there to help if they look to you for help.

Another thing you can do is play next to them. You do your thing, they do theirs.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• GailllAZ- what the heck?! HIRE a neighbor child to come over and play? why wouldn't you just ask to kid to come over and play with your kid? haha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I don't know. I guess I've never had that happen / content baby. hes 21 months and I can count on my hand how many times he's actually sat and played with anything himself - he is very needy!! always has been, no matter how much tough love I try or try to get him interested in something by himself. I guess I love to play with him but would love a break too - but I do WANT To play with my son also.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2009