Is a true that children who weren't breastfed are more likely to develope allergies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Studies have shown that (despite all the ancedotal evidence here) breastfeeding may lower the risk of developing allergies. That doesn't mean all bf'd babies will not get allergies or that all ff'd babies will get allergies. What it means is that a b'fd may get a benefit that a ff'd baby won't. If there is a family history of allergies a child has a higher risk of having allergies, but if that child is bf'd it may slightly lower that risk. It does not remove the risk, and it won't for sure lower it, but it may, whereas ff'd won't affect the risk at all.

Even formula companies will agree that breastmilk is best for baby, but formula is a great and close second. But in most cases it is second best. There are many benefits to breastfeeding that should not be brushed aside because it makes ff'ing moms feel better. I have done both, what I felt was best for each of my kids, because that's what we do, what we feel is best.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It's true.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• IDK. My first son was FF exclusively and he has allergies but my youngest who was BF exclusively has none. Who knows?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yes, here's a link to information

http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_about/all_about_allergies.html

Good luck!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It's a known fact. Many studies have shown that artificial feeding (formula) causes allergies. The longer a baby is breastfed the more the baby is protected from allergies. It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature.

It's a good thing scientists don't rely on personal accounts - my baby was formula fed and didn't get allergies so formula doesn't cause allergies. That's not the way science works. We do studies. Also the mother doesn't know if her child will get allergies or asthma (a disease directly linked to allergies) later in life. I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 32. Formula feeding has life-long health consequences.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• yes
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• http://children.webmd.com/news/20080107/breastfeeding-may-lower-allergy-risk

NO, breastfeeding helps reduce the risks, but it does mean by not breastfeeding your child is more likely to develope allergies. It has to do with different risk factors.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yes it's true. I was the only child out of my mothers 6 kids who was not breastfed......and i am the ONLY one w/ allergies.

ALTHOUGH,

I breastfed my daughter for 2 years & she does get a mild case of allergies during spring & fall. I would like to see how they develope as she grows. Will they get better, or worse? She does not need meds for it though. It's very mild.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• There is a HUGE difference between "may lower" and "does lower".

Breastfeeding MAY lower the RISK of allergies. There is no GUARANTEE that a breastfed baby will have NO allergies.

And the statistical difference in the samples studied is barely significant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Think of it this way. Every child starts life with the chance of having x y or z allergies or none at all. Breastfeeding this child may prevent x and y allergies and they may still develop z. Or if you had not breastfeed, they may only develop y and z. You don't know for sure. It just helps reduce the risk that this particular kid will suffer from these allergies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2009