Need Help Motivating

We took the training wheels off 7 year old DD's bike last summer. I cannot get her to even try to ride her bike. She quit because "she's not good at it" This is how she is any time she isn't great at something the first time she tries it. I have tried everything I can thnk of to motivate her. I pointed out the 4 year old down the road who can do it, told her how I think she can do it because she's great, and even tried to bribe her. I told her that I would buy the toy she wanted if she just tried for 15 minutes a day for 5 days, she doesn't even have to learn to ride it, just try. She has not touched it. One time this year we got it out and she was crying before she even got on it. What can I do to get her to try?

Sammieanne

Asked by Sammieanne at 1:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So here is what worked. I told her if she attempted to ride her bike for 15 minutes each day, after 5 days I woyld get her a toy that she had been wanting. I told her she didn't even have to learn, just to try. She is now riding all over the place.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• nothing she will when she is ready. Do it with training wheels?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I hated the pressure from my mom to try my bike when I just knew I would fall. I fell every time I got on. One day, I was out with friends, my mom nowhere around, and I wanted to ride because they were. I got on and it just worked. I was much older and had a more developed coordination and sense of balance. I have always resisted being manipulated and worked. I also have been bad about only wanting to do things I know I can manage.
    Try to have her out with friends who are riding so she can feel left out without you pointing it out. Also, when I was younger, there was no reason to ride. We had a circular driveway and I was too young to be allowed to ride out the lane that went out to the highway. When I was older, we lived where there was someplace to ride. If she is too sheltered, she may not see any reason to learn, if she can't go anywhere.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 9:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2009