Do you teach them?

at home? or do you leave it up to the school?

workbooks? spelling? money? time?

ArlieBeeMee

Asked by ArlieBeeMee at 1:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree so much with the previous poster. Whatever school they are in, I am their primary teacher. I dont do extra work outside the classroom either, but it is my job to teach them character, integrity, how to drive, how to do laundry, how to cook, how to obey the rules, ect. So if youre a mother, youre always in a teaching mode.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I homeschooled my three children, they are now adults. I found it took less time than dealing with schools, about an hour a day. It cost very little. We used computer and library resources. No workbooks, they are part of the evil of school:) I was a single mom and grad student most of the time.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My son goes to public school and my daughter a Montessori Charter School. My son loves being with friends at school and my daughter is still adapting! She just started...
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• they are 3 and 1 so no not yet... he knows his colors and shapes and those things but not ebcuase i taught him... when he goes to school i will help him with what the school teaches him... if every parent decided to teach their children at home we wouldnt need teachers
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 1:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• We teach our kids at home. Children learn best from there parents, who know them the best.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My kids go to public school, but yes - I supplement at home, particularly during the summer.

Answer by missanc at 1:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• R u serious? U've never heard home is the first school/teacher.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 1:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My kids both attend public school. As parents, DH and I consider ourselves in partnership with the school system. I wouldn't say we "supplement" as much as we "compliment" what happens in the classroom.

We don't do worksheets and flashcards at home outside of the homework variety. Our learning is more about hands-on experiences. We watch for areas are children express specific talent, interest or struggle. We provide at home (and "in the field") learning opportunities in those areas. My son, for example, loves science. We make trips to science museums a family norm. We toy around with at-home experiments. We watch the Science Channel, Discovery, etc with him and answer his questions. When the kids express an interest in history, we find places relating to their particular topic of interest at the moment and go visit them, etc. We make money, time and other basic math a normal part of our day. We read daily together, etc.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I do my best to reinforce what my children learn in school. We use flash cards, spontaneous questions (like T- what is 4x4, S- what is 95x3), websites and outside projects. My kids decided to build birdhouses and we helped them to figure the measurements, but they did the work (well, not the powertool part.) We also teach morals, values, etc…we volunteer serving food to the homeless and last year ds started his own food drive (dd helped some.) He said he will make it yearly. DD gave some of her allowance to the local animal shelter. All lessons that help them learn, in addition to 2+2.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• we teach at home but kids go to public school. WE all sit down and do homework together and the 3 yo is learning her numbers and letters.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2009