I'm at my wits end, what would you as a parent do?

My daughter has been sick since last Wednesday. She had a high fever and diahrrea so I took her to urgent care that day and they said it was viral and to just give her motrin and tylenol for her symptoms. So Friday I got her into a pediatrician's office, he said the same thing. Now it's Tues, her fever has definitely improved but she's eaten jack since then (maybe 1 or 2 bites of things I offer her, applesauce, bananas, toast, crackers, etc) and going to the bathroom literally every 5 minutes. I'm not exaggerating on that, either, she'll go every 5 and it's diahhrea. Today she's vomited twice. I called the dr but they're closed til 2. I really don't want to take her back just to hear "Oh, it's viral, can't do anything" because I'll kill someone if they don't help her out soon. I'm kinda thinking the ER, I want her scanned to make sure there's no intestinal probs going on. What would you do?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Seriously, I'm dealing with the SAME THING! All 3 of my kids started running high fevers Friday night and they closed their daycare Friday morning because 10 kids came down with Type A flu, so I was majorly worried. I took them to the ER at 4am, luckily got right in, they did strep and flu tests and ALL came back negative and said it was completely viral, give them motrin and tylenol for the fever and let the virus run its course. Well I assume running its course means getting the runs and throwing up after 2 days of this crud, because they have it too. They aren't eating anything either, but they are sipping on ice chips and flat coke, which seems to help with the throwing up and diarrhea.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 2:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• With as long as this has been going on, the lack of eating and what-not, and especially the fact that it's gotten worse since the last time you took her in, I would probably make a trip to the ER.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 1:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would take her in...you're the mom, you know what's going on with her...she could be getting dehydrated ,you just don't know...that is a long time to have a virus...mine had it a couple of weeks ago but it was just 24 hours...just make them listen..tell them it's been a week and she's still not better and you're not leaving until you find out something....good luck...
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would just push the fluids on her. Food is not neccessary and will only upset her stomach even worse. Give her 5 ml's of fluid every 20 minutes. Its a pain the butt but it will help her get through this without getting too dehydrated. It is most likely viral and someone has to be sick for a lot longer than a week for then to do any sort of scanning, as stomach bugs are known to last that long
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I'd be VERY concerned about dehydration, not necessarily the virus or whatever it is. Is she peeing? If not or if very infrequently, take her in.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Take her to the ER, sometimes the dr's just want to get the patients out and might have missed something and well this has been going on a while...
    Skurvy

Answer by Skurvy at 1:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• At the very least they should hydrate her maybe. If they did that she might get better faster. I had the same kinda thing and thats what they had to do for me. (I was 11) Rehydrating me helped my body fight it off better
    mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 1:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• She's been peeing but not as much. She's not drinking as much as she should, she's thirsty in the morning and actually acts like herself, happy and not sick, but then by afternoon her symptoms come back. Now I'm just giving her pedialyte and trying my best to force her to drink as much as possible. She's in a lot of pain when she has to poop and of course when she has to "spit" (throw up). I just feel so bad and SO irritated that it has gone on this long!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i had this exact same thig a month ago! it was ME that was sick... throwing up diareaah couldnt eat my troat was so sore... i got rtested for everything!! just a virus... it took about 12 days from first sympotoms till i started getting better.. and about 3 weeks before i could eat a full meal,,,

if shes not drinking anmd not peeing id take her to the ER.. chances are its just a virus though and not too much you can do about it
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 1:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You can tell if she is dehydrated. Is she peeing? Is her pee dark yellow with a bad smell?

There is nothing they can do at the ER except give her an IV. It's been my experience they just don't do that. They aren't going to admit her.

My 3 kids and I have a genetic immune deficiency disease and we don't have IgA the immune protein that protects the digestive track. I am a diarrhea and vomiting expert. We get food poisioning easily. Kids can be sick a long time before there is reason to get worried.

I know a week seems a long time but for a normal kid you don't have anything to worry about. Just give clear fluids for now, no apple juice or sauce.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2009